1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More kinematics

1. Jun 4, 2004 #1
    I'm sorry for posting so often, but I'm really stuck on these :cry:

A cannon having a muzzle speed of 1000 m/s is used to destroy a target on a mountaintop. The target is 2000 from the cannon horizontally and hoom above the ground. At what anle, relative to the ground, should the cannon be fired (ignore air friction).

I don'[t really know what to do with this either, except that the V0 in the x-direction is 1000 m/s and the V0 in the y-direction is 0 m/s and the acceleration in the y-direction is 9.81

I don't really know where to go from here. any help would be super appreciated! :yuck:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2004 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Please remove the numerous typos here; I don't understand which parameters are present in this exercise :confused:

4. Jun 4, 2004 #3

Gza

by making this assumption, you imply that the answer is 0 degrees. The problem only gives you the magnitude of the muzzle velocity I assume. This is a projectile motion problem, so all you have to do is break up the motion into the horizontal and vertical directions. In the horizontal direction, the velocity will be constant at [tex] V_o\cos \theta [/tex] , vertical magnitude for initial velocity will be [tex] V_o\sin \theta [/tex]. There is of course an acceleration of gravity vertically so take that into account as well with a kinematical relation. Then just solve for theta.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?