Solving for Time: Dropping a Brick from a Building

In summary, the conversation is about solving a physics problem involving a brick being dropped from a building and passing in front of a window. One person suggests using a formula, while another suggests using a graphical method. The conversation also includes a mistake in the question and a clarification, as well as a discussion about plotting graphs.
saiyajin822
more kinetics :(

sigh here's another one i thought i knew how to do but i ended up with the wrong answer.

A brick is dropped from the roof of a building. Twenty meters below the point of release is the top of a window. How long will it take the brick to pass in front of the window which is 21.5 m tall?

d=21.5 m
a=9.8m/s
vi=0
t=?
i used d=vit+1/2a(t)^2 formula so..

21.5=0+1/2(9.8)(t)^2

did i do that right...

Physics news on Phys.org
saiyajin822 said:
sigh here's another one i thought i knew how to do but i ended up with the wrong answer.

A brick is dropped from the roof of a building. Twenty meters below the point of release is the top of a window. How long will it take the brick to pass in front of the window which is 21.5 m tall?

d=21.5 m
a=9.8m/s
vi=0
t=?
i used d=vit+1/2a(t)^2 formula so..

21.5=0+1/2(9.8)(t)^2

did i do that right...

I'm afraid you may not have. I suggest that instead you might take the v_i as the velocity of the brick at the point where the brick passes the top of the window. (d=20m) Then your equation would work, but I'm just an idiot...
I thought about this for a second and realized a simpler method would be to simply take the difference in times of d=20m and d=41.5m. (Use your original formula set up and solve for time when d=20m then solve when d=41.5, then find the difference)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't like using formulae, and since I've not been taught more complicated kinematics at school yet, I'll do it the non-formulae way.

The brick has initial velocity of 0 m/s. When dropped, it accelerates towards the ground at 9.8 m/s^2. We want to find its velocity at the point where it reaches the top of the window. Visualise a velocity-time graph in your head. From the point of origin, you can draw a line that has gradient 9.8. We want to calculate just how far we can draw the line before the area underneath the line is 20m. Let's call the time needed to travel this distance t1. Then the velocity at this point will be 9.8t1. The area underneath the line is 1/2 x 9.8t1 x t1 = (9.8t1 ^2)/2.

So,
9.8t1 ^2 = 40
t1 = 2.020305089

Use the same method to determine the time taken for the brick to pass through both the 20 m before reaching the window and the height of the window itself (21.5m) which has a total distance of 41.5m. Call this time t2. Minus t1 from t2, and you'll have your answer.

I hate graphs. They are very annoying.

I'll plot them, but I just hate those who ask plot the following when x equals:

It never ends!

WOW i mistyped the question, I am really sorry about that. the window is actually 1.5 m high. This is what the real problem should say:

A brick is dropped from the roof of a building. Twenty meters below the point of release is the top of a window. How long will it take the brick to pass in front of the window which is 1.5 m tall?

again,sorry

by the way, i did it the way u said but i don't understand why we would take the difference of using 20m and 21.5m.

Last edited:
JasonRox said:
I hate graphs. They are very annoying.

I'll plot them, but I just hate those who ask plot the following when x equals:

It never ends!

I did not say 'plot a graph'. I said visualise the graph in your head, and you'll be able to solve the problem.

saiyajin822 said:
WOW i mistyped the question, I am really sorry about that. the window is actually 1.5 m high. This is what the real problem should say:

A brick is dropped from the roof of a building. Twenty meters below the point of release is the top of a window. How long will it take the brick to pass in front of the window which is 1.5 m tall?

again,sorry

by the way, i did it the way u said but i don't understand why we would take the difference of using 20m and 21.5m.

Even though the value has now changed, the method used in solving the question remains the same. Hence, if you understood my method for solving the initial problem, you should be able to tweak it to work for this problem as well.

In your original question, t1 is the time taken to fall from the roof to the top of the window. t2 is the time taken to fall from the roof to the bottom of the window. Hence to find the time taken to fall from the top of the window to the bottom of the window, you need to find the difference between t1 and t2.

What is the formula for calculating the time it takes a brick to fall from a building?

The formula for calculating the time it takes a brick to fall from a building is t = sqrt(2h/g), where t is the time in seconds, h is the height of the building in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

How do you determine the height of a building by dropping a brick?

To determine the height of a building by dropping a brick, you would first measure the time it takes for the brick to fall from the top of the building to the ground. Then, you would plug that time value into the formula t = sqrt(2h/g) and solve for h, which would give you the height of the building in meters.

Is the time it takes for a brick to fall from a building affected by air resistance?

Yes, the time it takes for a brick to fall from a building is affected by air resistance. As the brick falls, it experiences air resistance, which slows down its acceleration and therefore increases the time it takes to reach the ground. However, for smaller objects like bricks, the effect of air resistance is negligible and can be ignored in most cases.

Can the formula for calculating the time it takes a brick to fall from a building be used for any object?

No, the formula for calculating the time it takes a brick to fall from a building can only be used for objects that are dropped from rest. If an object is thrown or has an initial velocity, the formula will not give an accurate result. In those cases, more complex equations must be used to calculate the time of fall.

How does the height of the building affect the time it takes for a brick to fall?

The height of the building directly affects the time it takes for a brick to fall. As the height increases, the time it takes for the brick to fall also increases. This is because the higher the building, the longer the distance the brick has to fall and the longer it takes to reach the ground.