Infinite Well: Ladder Operators for Simplified Expression

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of finding a simple expression for the ladder operators in terms of x and -i\hbar\partial_x for the infinite potential well. Some attempts were made but no nice operators were found. The use of sinusoids as a basis for the state space was suggested, but the necessity of expressing the operators in terms of them was questioned. It was also mentioned that using the angle addition formulas for trigonometric functions could lead to a straightforward expression, but it didn't seem to work. The idea of using the exponential basis was also brought up, but it wasn't clear if it was allowable. The possibility of writing the "Number" operator as N = \sqrt{ \partial_x^2 }
jostpuur
Is there a simple expression for the ladder operators, in terms of x and [itex]-i\hbar\partial_x[/itex], for the infinite potential well? After some attempts, I couldn't figure out any nice operators that would map functions like this

[tex]
\sin\frac{\pi n x}{L} \mapsto \sin\frac{\pi(n\pm 1)x}{L}.
[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
jostpuur said:
[tex]
\sin\frac{\pi n x}{L} \mapsto \sin\frac{\pi(n\pm 1)x}{L}.
[/tex]
What's wrong with just using this to define a pair of operators? Such sinusoids form a basis for the state space, don't they? Is expressing it in terms of those operators a necessity?

If you really need to write things in terms of those operators, it seems straightforward by using the angle addition formulas for trigonometric functions. You'll probably have to use operators like [itex]\sin X[/itex] and [itex]\cos X[/itex], though.

Last edited:
Hurkyl said:
What's wrong with just using this to define a pair of operators?

I'm not sure.

Such sinusoids form a basis for the state space, don't they?

Yes.

Is expressing it in terms of those operators a necessity?

I'm not sure.

Better to know, than to not know! If some nice form for the operators exists, I have no intention to ignore it.

If you really need to write things in terms of those operators, it seems straightforward by using the angle addition formulas for trigonometric functions. You'll probably have to use operators like [itex]\sin X[/itex] and [itex]\cos X[/itex], though.

It didn't seem straightforward when I tried it.

[tex]
\exp\frac{i\pi n x}{L}\; -\; \exp\frac{-i\pi nx}{L} \quad\mapsto\quad
\exp\frac{i\pi n x}{L}\exp\frac{i\pi x}{L} \;-\; \exp\frac{-i\pi nx}{L}\exp\frac{-i\pi x}{L}
[/tex]

Multiplying by some function doesn't do this. There is always some problems with cross terms. Derivatives seem problematic, because they bring [itex]\propto n[/itex] factors down from the exponents.

Incidentally, does [itex]\partial_x[/itex] even count as an operator here? When applied to a state, it usually produces something that isn't a state!

Better to know, than to not know! If some nice form for the operators exists, I have no intention to ignore it.
Well, by far the nicest form of these operators is given by the expression you wrote! Let [itex]\psi_n[/itex] denote those wavefunctions, and write everything in that basis. Then, the raising operator is simply given by

[tex]A \psi_n := \psi_{n+1}[/tex]

Hurkyl said:
Incidentally, does [itex]\partial_x[/itex] even count as an operator here? When applied to a state, it usually produces something that isn't a state!

It seems natural to work in the space spanned by

[tex]
\exp\frac{i\pi kx}{L},\quad k\in\mathbb{Z}
[/tex]

and consider the physical state space as a subspace. It is allowable to go outside temporarily.

I didn't take a closer look at the infinite matrices yet. It could be I'm returning to this later or soon.

hmhmh... or is it allowable? :biggrin: I'm not sure really... The insistence on writing everything in terms of x and p is getting strange of course...

Last edited:
I want to say that you can write the "Number" operator as

[tex]N = \sqrt{ \partial_x^2 }[/tex]

where the square root one is the one induced by the real number square root. (And this would solve your problems with n appearing) Unfortunately, the reasonability of this expression is on the boundary between my knowledge and my optimism. :frown:

The sines are complete, in configuration space. Further they are eigenstates of the free Hamiltonian. When in doubt, brute force is sometime a good way to go. Let's call one of these eigenstates | S,n> so that <x|S, n> =sin (n pi x/L). Your ladder operator for going up then becomes

Sum over n{|S,n+1><S,n|} -- I've neglected constants

A similar expression holds for the n-> n-1 operator, which is adjoint to the above operator..

You also might be able to do this by converting to an oscillator basis; there's a standard generating function for Hermite polynomials that might do the trick.

Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

Hurykyl's Number Operator

Hurkyl said:
I want to say that you can write the "Number" operator as

[tex]N = \sqrt{ \partial_x^2 }[/tex]

where the square root one is the one induced by the real number square root. (And this would solve your problems with n appearing) Unfortunately, the reasonability of this expression is on the boundary between my knowledge and my optimism. :frown:

Your operator shows up, for example, in classical E&M. The standard approach is to go to a Fourier representation, and end up with deleta functions and principle parts. Discussed in Mandel and Wolf, Optical Coherence ..., page 223.
Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

1. What is the concept of "Infinite Well" in quantum mechanics?

Infinite Well refers to a model used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a particle confined in a potential well of infinite depth. In this model, the particle is assumed to be confined within a certain region and possess a specific amount of energy.

2. What are ladder operators in the context of "Infinite Well"?

Ladder operators are mathematical operators used in quantum mechanics to describe the energy levels of a particle in an infinite well potential. They help simplify the expression for the energy levels of the particle by raising or lowering its energy by specific amounts.

3. How do ladder operators simplify the expression for energy levels in "Infinite Well"?

Ladder operators simplify the expression for energy levels by representing the energy levels as a combination of the ground state energy and a multiple of the potential energy. They also allow for the calculation of the energy levels without having to solve complex differential equations.

4. What is the significance of using ladder operators in the "Infinite Well" model?

The use of ladder operators in the "Infinite Well" model allows for a more efficient and simplified calculation of energy levels. It also helps in understanding the quantization of energy levels and the concept of particle confinement in quantum mechanics.

5. Are ladder operators only applicable to the "Infinite Well" model?

No, ladder operators are used in various other models in quantum mechanics, such as the harmonic oscillator and the hydrogen atom. They are a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and are applicable to any system with discrete energy levels.