1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More limits, just a simple question this time

1. May 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I just have a question about these two questions:

[tex] \lim_{y \to 3^{+}} \frac {y+1}{(y-2)(y-3)} [/tex]

and

[tex] \lim_{y \to 3} \frac {y+1}{(y-2)(y-3)} [/tex]

the solution to the first problem is infinity and the solution to the second is does not exist, is this because the first one is is approach 3 from the positive side so its basically 3.000000000000...1 and therefore infinity and the second is at 3 so the denominator is 0? If i am wrong please clarify this issue for me.

thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2010 #2
    The first one is infinity because you're essentially dividing by a very small positive number since you're approaching 3 from the right. When applying the limit, you will get something like 4/(1 x 0^+), meaning your dividing 4 by a very very small number therefore the limit is infinity.

The second one does not exist because if you take the one sided limits, you will get +infinity when you approach 3 from the right and -infinity when you approach 3 from the left. Since the limits from both sides don't match, the limit as x approaches 3 DNE.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook