1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More Magnetism problems

1. Apr 21, 2005 #1
    I'm confused if I am using the right equations to solve this problem.

P: A singly charged Li^7 ion has a mass of 1.16x10^-26kg. It is accelerated through a potential difference of 500 Volts and then enters a magnetic field of 0.4 Teslas, moving perpendicular to the field. What is the radius of its path in the magnetic field.

I had two different solutions to this problem that has to completely different answers. First, I figured I can use the equation V=(kq)/r. Then I solved for the radius. The second way is by using the volts equation: V=PE/q, which I use to solve for the potential energy. I then used this in the kinetic energy equation KE=1/2mv^2 to solve for the velocity. This velocity I then used in the equation r=(mV)/(Bq). I got 2.88x10^-12 meters for the first solution and 3.44x10^13 meters for the second solution. Which one is right is any?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2005 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is your understanding of V=(kq)/r? How did you use it?

4. Apr 21, 2005 #3
    Well... since I knew how much volts there is, I figured that it is faster to just use that formula where k is the Coulomb constant (8.99x10^9 Nm^2/C^2), then just solve for the radius. Is it possible to use this equation like that?

5. Apr 21, 2005 #4

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. The r in that equation is distance from a charge q and the V is is the electric potential due to that charge. It has nothing to do with the radius of curvature of a path of a particle, and that V is for a completely dirrerent geometry than what you have.

6. Apr 21, 2005 #5
    So is my second solution the right one? or are they both wrong?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?