Can Magnet Wire Be Used to Turn Objects into Speakers?

• Thread starter puuukeey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Turning
In summary, the musician is trying to turn ordinary objects into speakers by painting them with magnetic paint, but the results are poor. He has wrapped around 450 feet of magnet wire around an iron bar in an attempt to create a strong magnetic circuit, but the results are still inconclusive. The frequency of the sound is also affected by the clipping of the amplifier.
puuukeey
hi I found this forum on the net... . figured Id give it a try.

I'm a musician/audio guy working on a quirky project. my goal is to turn normal objects into speakers by painting them with some magnetic paint I found at my local art store. The other end of this, however, requires that I build a fixed electromagnet capable of handling an audio signal (presumably from an amp) and also capable of moving the object. (my first target is the base of a metal wash bin)

so far...
using magnet wire and a nail seems to yield sub par results. the insulation melts and smokes within 5 minutes and the magnet is rendered useless. the sound is also very distorted. it sounds as if there is a rectifier of some sort on the signal. it is also heavily weighted toward bass (which is ok and to be expected... hell its not like the bottom of a washboard is a paper cone)

whats the trick to converting electric audio signals to magnetic signals?

thanks for your time
matt

Physics news on Phys.org
Your impedance is too low. Need more turns/finer wire. Take a speaker apart to find out typical combinations.

I would imagine the idea of turning ordinary objects into speakers is so that they can impart some of their own character to the sound, so isn't distortion desirable?

Your impedance is too low. Need more turns/finer wire. Take a speaker apart to find out typical combinations.
----NEAT I'll buy more magnet wire today. maybe link three reels up?

so isn't distortion desirable?
--------- yes, however, I've held a mic up to this monstrosity and (it will reacts to the magnetism before the sound.) and the waves are rectified. very strange. however I think its simple enough to deal with it. (just squeeze the whole wave above 0)

I'll post back when I get results
matt

out come for the record

well I've wrapped approximately 450 feet of 26 and 30 gauge magnet wire around an iron bar which is about 3/4" thick. connected to this bar is connected to two consecutive amps. (the alesis RA-100 which is "100 watts per channel into 4?, 75 watts per channel into 8?") both channels are clipping and the results are interesting.

clipping the amp produces more frequencies at one time which seems to make it louder however makes the original sound virtually undefinable. this frequencystack-to-loudness correlation seems to be in spite of the fact that the amp literally clips the wave form

Obviously I thank anyone and everyone for their help (as I have only knowledge of music and sound to repay) but if there is anyway I can get this darn thing loud/strong enough to reproduce sound well please post it. :)

Couple things.
You want the DC coil resistance to be somewhere around 3 to 4 ohms.
This is to keep the Amp from being damaged.
Look up on a wire table for ohms per foot for the wire you are using.

The magnetic circuit is also important.
A U shaped bar will be better than a straight bar.
The gap between the ends of the U and the moving surface should be as small as possible without hitting.

You could also try cutting the cone off of a standard speaker and gluing the voice coil to the surface you want to move.

Maybe you should have a look at this http://www.afrotechmods.com/cheap/hdspeakers/hdspeakers.htm

I hope it ll help

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does turning objects into speakers work?

Turning objects into speakers involves using transducers, which are devices that convert electrical signals into sound waves, to vibrate a surface and create sound. These transducers are attached to the object, and when an electrical signal is sent through them, they vibrate the object's surface and produce sound.

2. What types of objects can be turned into speakers?

Almost any object can be turned into a speaker as long as it has a surface that can vibrate and create sound. Some common objects used for this purpose include paper, cardboard, cups, and even windows.

3. Can any type of sound be produced from objects turned into speakers?

Yes, objects turned into speakers can produce a wide range of sounds, from music to speech to simple tones. The type of sound produced depends on the electrical signal being sent to the transducers and the surface of the object being used.

4. Are there any limitations to turning objects into speakers?

There are some limitations to turning objects into speakers. The quality and volume of the sound produced may not be as good as traditional speakers, and the size and shape of the object may also affect the sound. Additionally, the object may need to be reinforced to prevent damage from the vibrations.

5. What are the potential applications of turning objects into speakers?

Turning objects into speakers can have many potential applications, including in consumer electronics, where it could be used to create more immersive and compact sound systems. It could also be used in advertising and marketing, as well as in art installations and interactive exhibits.