Solving Nuclear Equations: ^{28}_{14}Si to ^{14}_6C

• Thread starter Phil Massie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nuclear
In summary, the first equation (n, \alpha) tells us that when 28 lead atoms (\alpha) are added to 1 oxygen atom (X), we get a He atom. The second equation (A, Z) says that when 14 lead atoms (A) are added to 1 oxygen atom (X), we get a Re atom. The third equation (i.e. Z, A) is correct, but the fourth equation (X, Ir) is incorrect because Ir has a charge of -1, which cancels out Z.
Phil Massie
Hi there. I'm hoping someone will be able to help with these equations. I'm studying 1st year chem through correspondence, and am struggling a little with some concepts without someone to talk them through with.

These are the equations I'm given.

i) [tex]^{28}_{14}Si \ + \ ^1_0n \ \rightarrow \ ^{25}_{12}Mg \ + \ X[/tex] (neutron bombardment?)

ii) [tex]^{186}_{75}Re \ + \ ^1_1p \ \rightarrow \ X \ + \ ^0_{-1}e[/tex] (proton bombardment?)

iii) [tex]^{208}_{83}Bi \ + \ ^0_{-1}e \ \rightarrow \ ^{207}_{81}Tl \ + \ X[/tex] (electron bombardment?)

iv) [tex]^{14}_6C \ \rightarrow \ ^{13}_6C \ + \ X[/tex] (decay?)

As far as i can figure, these are the answers. If someone could please point out if and where i might be going wrong I would appreciate it.

i) [tex]X \ = \ ^4_2He[/tex]

ii) [tex]X \ = \ ^{187}_{75}Re[/tex]

iii) [tex]X \ = \ ^1_1p[/tex]

iv) [tex]X \ = \ ^0_1n[/tex]

I'm sure these seem pretty simple(not to me), but if you could verify my answers, it would really help me with some conceptual understanding.

Thanks very very much in advance. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
With [tex]{^A_Z}X[/tex], A is the atomic mass and Z is the atomic number or charge.

The electron has charge -1, so Z=-1, but it does not contribute (much) to atomic mass since me ~ mp/1836

In these equations, the sums of charges and masses on the left side must equal the sums on the right.

In the first reaction (n, [itex]\alpha[/itex]), for A, one has 28 + 1 = 25 + A(X) or A(X) = 29 - 25 = 4, which would be the mass of a He atom (or alpha particle). Similarly, for Z, 14 + 0 = 12 + Z(X), or Z(X) = 14 - 12 = 2, so one has the correct answer for i.

ii) A is correct, but check the charge balance.

iii) correct

iv) switch the subscript and superscript.

The neutron is [tex]{^1_0}n[/tex], i.e. Z = 0, but A = 1.

Hi Astronuc. thanks sooo much for this.

Ok, so for ii, [tex]^{186}_{75}Re[/tex] gains a proton, increasing A by 1, and therefore Z by 1 as well, giving us [tex]^{187}_{76}[/tex]. In order for the charges to match, we would need [tex]X \ = \ ^{187}_{77}Ir[/tex].

I must say it seemed unlikely that the answer would be a nuclide of the same element. :)

I guess this may be an idiotic question, but i have to ask. [tex]^{186}_{75}Re[/tex] gains a proton, Z=187 A=76. Then, the nucleus gives off an electron, and this loss of 1 negative charge causes/allows a neutron to become a proton, increasing A by 1 and leaving Z alone. Does that make sense?

With regards to the neutron in iv, thanks for that, got it :)

Thanks so much for taking the time, and especially so fast.

1. What is a nuclear equation?

A nuclear equation is a mathematical representation of a nuclear reaction. It shows the reactants and products of the reaction, as well as the particles involved and their relative masses and charges.

2. How do you solve a nuclear equation?

To solve a nuclear equation, you must balance the number of protons and neutrons on both sides of the equation. This can be done by adding or subtracting particles, using conservation of mass and charge.

3. What is the significance of the numbers in a nuclear equation?

The numbers in a nuclear equation represent the atomic mass and atomic number of the particles involved. The atomic mass is the total number of protons and neutrons, while the atomic number is the number of protons.

4. What is the importance of balancing a nuclear equation?

Balancing a nuclear equation is important because it follows the law of conservation of mass and charge. This means that the total mass and charge of the reactants must equal the total mass and charge of the products.

5. How do you solve the specific nuclear equation ^{28}_{14}Si to ^{14}_6C?

To solve this specific nuclear equation, you must balance the number of protons and neutrons on both sides. This can be done by adding or subtracting particles, and the resulting balanced equation would be ^{28}_{14}Si → ^{14}_6C + ^{14}_8O.