More on derivative of an exponential

In summary, the only solution for a function g(cx) such that d/dx(exp(g(cx)))=1/c(exp(g(cx))) is g(cx)=x/c+C, where C is a constant. This solution preserves the linear relationship between the argument and the constant, but the constant c is cancelled out.
Loren Booda
We know that d/dx(exp(cx))=c(exp(cx)), where c is a constant.

Does there exist a function g(cx) such that d/dx(exp(g(cx)))=1/c(exp(g(cx))) ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If cx=h, then g(h)=h/c2.
d[eg(h)]/dx=(dg/dh)(dh/dx)eg(h)=(1/c2)(c)eg(h)=(1/c)eg(h)

If cx=h, then g(h)=h/c2.
deg(h)/dx=(dg/dh)(dh/dx)eg(h)=(1/c2)(c)eg(h)=(1/c)eg(h)
That doesn't really answer the question. All you have is
d(ex/c/dx=(1/c)ex/c. In other words, you have changed from c to 1/c.

I know it's only a small change but it answers the question. Loren wanted a composite function g(h(x)) such that d[eg]/dx=(1/c)eg. Clearly dg/dx=1/c. I did forget a constant: g(h(x))=x/c+C, h(x)=cx, g(cx)=x/c+C=cx/c2+C=h/c2+C. Perhaps I misunderstand the question.

Perhaps I am asking how one might take a "function of linear constant" in an exponential argument and obtain the reciprocal constant upon differentiation. (I explained the problem better mathematically in my original post.) I tend to agree with mathman here, that I wanted to preserve the linear constant relationship in the argument.

Any solutions?

The only solution is g(h)=h/c2+C or g(cx)=x/c+C. If h=cx, then you get the desired derivative but you can't preserve the linear relationship (if by that you mean the "cx" term) because the c's cancel. Although, technically, it is linear. Since c is a constant, so is 1/c. But as far as your question goes, there are no solutions that provide what you're looking for.
d[eg(cx)]/dx=[dg/d(cx)][d(cx)/dx]eg(cx)=(1/c)eg(cx)
since eg(cx) is never zero, you can divide the last two parts of the equation by this term and you get,
[dg/d(cx)][d(cx)/dx]=1/c
[dg/d(cx)]c=1/c
dg/d(cx)=1/c2
dg=[1/c2]d(cx)
let u=cx
du=d(cx)
dg=[1/c2]du
g=u/c2+C=x/c+C
This is the only family of functions that will satisfy that equation.

Last edited:

What is the derivative of an exponential function?

The derivative of an exponential function is equal to the function itself multiplied by the natural logarithm of the base.

How do you find the derivative of an exponential function?

To find the derivative of an exponential function, take the original function and multiply it by the natural logarithm of the base. For example, if the original function is y = 3^x, the derivative would be y' = 3^x * ln(3).

Why is the derivative of an exponential function important?

The derivative of an exponential function is important because it allows us to find the slope of the tangent line at any point on the function. This can be useful in many real-world applications, such as in finance and science.

Can the derivative of an exponential function be negative?

Yes, the derivative of an exponential function can be negative. This would occur when the base of the exponential function is between 0 and 1, as the natural logarithm of a number between 0 and 1 is negative.

Is the derivative of an exponential function always increasing?

No, the derivative of an exponential function is not always increasing. If the base of the exponential function is greater than 1, then the derivative will be increasing. However, if the base is between 0 and 1, the derivative will be decreasing.