More on Parallel Transport: Existence & Uniqueness

In summary, the recent conversation on parallel transport discusses the existence and uniqueness of parallel transport and how it is defined using a derivative operator. The concept of parallel transport is shown to be unique and is defined using a general covariant derivative. John Lee's book Riemannian Manifolds presents a proof of this and also addresses the issue of extending a field on a curve to the whole manifold.
pervect
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
The recent thread on parallel transport has raised a couple of things I'd like to review for my own sake. I'll address them one at a time as my time permits.

The first question is this. If we offer ##t^a \nabla_a u^b## or the equivalent ##\nabla_{\vec{t}} u^b## as the definition of parallel transport of a vector ##\vec{u}## along some curve C with tangent ##\vec{t}##, how do we show the existence and uniqueness of parallel transport? To be a bit more clear, we have some curve C with a tangent ##t^a##, and we are assuming that some derivative operator ##\tilde{\nabla}_a## exists and is well-defined. At this point we aren't making any more specific assumptions about ##\tilde{\nabla}_a##, in fact if we follow Wald's logic we are assuming that there are many possible ways to define a derivative operator that meet the necessary axioms, and we are free to pick any of them. Eventually, we'll realize that these other derivative operators yield other connections, and that for the purposes of doing GR the connection we are interested in is the Levi-Civita connection. But at this point we are only assuming that we've singled out one specific possibility for the derivative operator, and we want to show that this implies we've also singled out some specific notion of parallel transport.

Given then, that we have a well-defined derivative operator, if we have a curve, and we have a vector on the curve, how do we go about showing that this definition yields a unique answer to the question of parallel transporting said vector along said curve? I think in the recent thread, there were some concerns about the existence and uniqueness of this concept of parallel transport. Having a definition, if it's a good one, should address these concerns.

Physics news on Phys.org
John Lee, in his book Riemannian Manifolds presents a proof of this as Theorem 4.11 ('Parallel Translation'). The derivative used to determine the parallellness of the transported vector field is a general covariant derivative, not required to be the Levi-Civita.

It is based on a theorem about the existence and uniqueness of a solution to a certain type of linear ODE, which is presented by Lee as Theorem 4.12.

I google searched some words from the hard copy and came up with this link to the relevant pages on Google books. Maybe it will work for others.

Likes martinbn, fresh_42 and PeterDonis
The question was answered but I want to make a side comment. You start with a curve and a vector field along the curve and you want to be able to tell whether it is parallel along the curve. For that you have to be able to differentiate it in the direction of the tangent vector. And there is a subtle point here. If you have a vector field on the manifold you can restrict it to the curve and have a field along the curve. But not every field along the curve is of that form. For example when the curve self intersects you cannot always extend a field on the curve to a field on the whole manifold. So in general you cannot just extend and differentiate. So you have to prove (as done in diff.geom. books, I believe in Lee's as well, and some GR books) that there is a derivative operator that acts on fields on the curve that agrees with the derivative operator from the connection when the field is extendable.

1. What is parallel transport?

Parallel transport is a mathematical concept used to describe the movement of a vector along a curved path while maintaining its direction. It is often used in fields like differential geometry and physics to understand how objects move in curved spaces.

2. Why is parallel transport important?

Parallel transport is important because it allows us to study and understand the behavior of objects in curved spaces, which is crucial in fields like general relativity and cosmology. It also helps us define and understand concepts such as curvature and geodesics.

3. What is meant by the existence of parallel transport?

The existence of parallel transport refers to the fact that for any given point on a curved surface, there exists a unique path along which a vector can be transported while keeping its direction constant. This path is known as a geodesic.

4. What does uniqueness of parallel transport mean?

The uniqueness of parallel transport means that there can only be one path along which a vector can be transported while maintaining its direction at a given point on a curved surface. This path is unique and is known as the geodesic of that point.

5. How is parallel transport related to covariant derivative?

Parallel transport is closely related to the concept of the covariant derivative, which is a mathematical tool used to differentiate vector fields on a curved surface. The covariant derivative allows us to calculate how a vector changes as it is transported along a path, taking into account the curvature of the surface.