Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More on riemann zeta function

1. Sep 19, 2008 #1
    I still don't understand a few things.

Let's say we had a non-trivial zero counting function, [tex]Z_n(n)[/tex], for the riemann zeta function. Couldn't we fairly easily prove the riemann hypothesis by evaluating [tex]\zeta (\sigma+iZ_n)[/tex], solving for [tex] \sigma [/tex], then proving it for all n using induction?

On another note, I still need help in evaluating the actual function. Can someone show me, step by step, how to evaluate say, [tex]\zeta (1/2 + 5i)[/tex]? Please be specific
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2008 #2
    You can use (21) or (25) on http://mathworld.wolfram.com/RiemannZetaFunction.html in the evaluations, though you'll have to resort to numerical methods sooner or later.

Of the attempt at proving the Riemann hypothesis, I can only say that the approach you suggest is similar to reducing the problem to Merten's conjecture (by a Mobius reciprocation)- a proof of which would imply the Riemann hypothesis! However, Merten's conjecture has been shown false (though its falsity does not imply the falsity of the Riemann hypothesis).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?