Converting Wavelength to Frequency Spread in Optics

In summary, the conversation revolved around a question regarding optics and the calculation of frequency spread using linewidth and working wavelength. The individual also requested recommendations for sources on non-linear optics and expressed the need to fill in knowledge gaps before an upcoming exam.
Beer-monster
This is probably a stupid question but I'm having a small problem with an optics issue, and it keeps coming up in past exams.

Most of the formulae I know for things like coherence length and number of modes in a laser involve the frequency spread (linewidth) of the laser [tex] \Delta \nu [/tex]

However the question give me the linewidth or spectral width as a wavelength e.g [tex] \Delta \lambda = 0.002 nm [/tex] along with the working wavelength [tex] \lambda = 633 nm [/tex].

Can anyone tell me how I can get from the linewidth to the frequency spread, I've tried various things (such as dividing c by the variance etc) but can't get anything that matches the answers when I follow through.

Incidently does anyone know an online source (or possible a good textbook) for basic non-linear optics/lasers? There have been questions on deriving equations for growth of second harmonics etc and it polarisability, and I'm lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
What happens if you use [itex]\nu = c \lambda^{-1}[/itex] and

[tex]\Delta \nu = \left| \frac{d \nu} {d \lambda} \right| \Delta \lambda.[/tex]

Regards,
George

Last edited:
That worked, thanks George.

Just trying to identify and fill the gaps in my optics knowledge before my upcoming exam.

There's a few gaps but less than I expected

Beer-monster said:
Just trying to identify and fill the gaps in my optics knowledge before my upcoming exam.

Good luck!

What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency in optics?

In optics, wavelength and frequency are inversely proportional. This means that as the wavelength decreases, the frequency increases and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation c = λν, where c is the speed of light, λ is the wavelength, and ν is the frequency.

Why is it important to convert wavelength to frequency in optics?

Converting wavelength to frequency is important in optics because it allows us to better understand and describe the behavior of light. Different wavelengths of light have different properties and interactions with matter, so knowing the frequency can help us determine how light will behave in various situations.

How can wavelength be converted to frequency?

Wavelength can be converted to frequency using the equation ν = c/λ, where ν is the frequency, c is the speed of light, and λ is the wavelength. This equation can also be rearranged to solve for wavelength if frequency is known.

What units are used to express wavelength and frequency in optics?

In optics, wavelength is typically measured in meters (m) or nanometers (nm), while frequency is measured in hertz (Hz) or terahertz (THz). These units are often used interchangeably depending on the scale of the measurements being taken.

How does converting wavelength to frequency affect the spread of light in optics?

Converting wavelength to frequency can affect the spread of light in optics by changing the properties of the light. For example, shorter wavelengths (higher frequencies) tend to spread out less and have a more focused beam, while longer wavelengths (lower frequencies) tend to spread out more and have a less focused beam.