Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: More optics

1. Jan 7, 2006 #1
    This is probably a stupid question but I'm having a small problem with an optics issue, and it keeps coming up in past exams.

Most of the formulae I know for things like coherence length and number of modes in a laser involve the frequency spread (linewidth) of the laser [tex] \Delta \nu [/tex]

However the question give me the linewidth or spectral width as a wavelength e.g [tex] \Delta \lambda = 0.002 nm [/tex] along with the working wavelength [tex] \lambda = 633 nm [/tex].

Can anyone tell me how I can get from the linewidth to the frequency spread, I've tried various things (such as dividing c by the variance etc) but can't get anything that matches the answers when I follow through.

Incidently does anyone know an online source (or possible a good textbook) for basic non-linear optics/lasers? There have been questions on deriving equations for growth of second harmonics etc and it polarisability, and I'm lost.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2006 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What happens if you use [itex]\nu = c \lambda^{-1}[/itex] and

[tex]\Delta \nu = \left| \frac{d \nu} {d \lambda} \right| \Delta \lambda.[/tex]

Regards,
    George

Last edited: Jan 7, 2006
  4. Jan 7, 2006 #3
    That worked, thanks George.

Just trying to identify and fill the gaps in my optics knowledge before my upcoming exam.

There's a few gaps but less than I expected

5. Jan 7, 2006 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Good luck!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook