Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More options when searching forums

1. Sep 17, 2006 #1
    Whenever I search for a combination of words, say, for a review of a certain book by typing the subject/title and author name, I get a huge list of posts with either the author's name or subject, or both. I only require posts that feature both, and it takes quite a long time to wade through all of them; and in this forum the number of irrelevant search results can be quite large (think about all those homework problems that only have the subject name! :bugeye: ). So, would it be possible to add a feature that would search for "All words," "Any of the words," and so on? Or are there any "tricks," other than using Google :wink:, that can filter posts that has all words?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Yes, it would be nice if our search function worked better. I almost always get 500+ responses to my queries, most of which are irrelevant.

But I've found Google to be not bad for searching PF. (Limit the search domain to this site, of course.) If nothing else, it's fast.

Maybe we can add a Google button to our toolbar (for searching on PF)?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?