Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More Partial Derv.

1. Oct 30, 2003 #1
    I am completly stuck on these. I am supposed to find the directional derv. of 1+2x(y)^(1-2) with point (3,4) and vector (4,-3)

I understand the formula to find this. You have to find the partial derv. of x and y then plug in (3,4) to get a value. Then take the partial derv. of x and multiply it by a, and partial derv. of y multiplied by b.

fx=partial derv of x
    fy = partial derv. of y

the answer in the back of the book is 23/10, I get 23/3. So it must be in my partials? any help is very much apperciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2003 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't forget that your direction vector is supposed to be a unit vector.

(4, -3) isn't quite a unit vector, so you have to scale it so it is a unit vector before you use it in the problem.

You might want to check the rest of your work again too.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2003
  4. Oct 30, 2003 #3
    What can I do to the vector (4,-3) to make it a unit vector? Multiply it till the legnth is 1?
  5. Oct 30, 2003 #4
    You want sqrt(x2+y2)=1 where x and y are the i and j components of the vector.
    Presently you have
    If you divide each side by 25 then
    So if the vector is (4/5,-3/5) then you have a unit vector.
  6. Oct 30, 2003 #5
    Thank you so much. If I could buy you a beer and cigar I would. That is all I needed, know it all makes sense. I can not tell you how much I am greatfull. I have that feeling of solving that ever so long math problem, it's great.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?