How do I find directional derivatives using partial derivatives?

• Thread starter Arden1528
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Partial
In summary, the conversation is about finding the directional derivative of a given function with a specified point and vector. The formula for finding this involves taking the partial derivatives of x and y and plugging in the given point to get a value. The partial derivatives are then multiplied by the components of the given vector to get the final answer. The conversation also discusses the importance of using a unit vector for the direction and how to scale a given vector to make it a unit vector. The final answer was found to be 23/10, with the help of scaling the vector to a unit vector.
Arden1528
I am completely stuck on these. I am supposed to find the directional derv. of 1+2x(y)^(1-2) with point (3,4) and vector (4,-3)

I understand the formula to find this. You have to find the partial derv. of x and y then plug in (3,4) to get a value. Then take the partial derv. of x and multiply it by a, and partial derv. of y multiplied by b.

fx(3,4)a+fy(3,4)b

fx=partial derv of x
fy = partial derv. of y

the answer in the back of the book is 23/10, I get 23/3. So it must be in my partials? any help is very much apperciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Don't forget that your direction vector is supposed to be a unit vector.

(4, -3) isn't quite a unit vector, so you have to scale it so it is a unit vector before you use it in the problem.

You might want to check the rest of your work again too.

Last edited:
What can I do to the vector (4,-3) to make it a unit vector? Multiply it till the legnth is 1?

Originally posted by Arden1528
What can I do to the vector (4,-3) to make it a unit vector? Multiply it till the legnth is 1?
Basically.
You want sqrt(x2+y2)=1 where x and y are the i and j components of the vector.
So
x2+y2=1
Presently you have
x2+y2=25
If you divide each side by 25 then
sqrt((x/5)2+(y/5)2)=1
So if the vector is (4/5,-3/5) then you have a unit vector.

Thank you so much. If I could buy you a beer and cigar I would. That is all I needed, know it all makes sense. I can not tell you how much I am greatfull. I have that feeling of solving that ever so long math problem, it's great.

1. What is Partial Derivative?

Partial derivative is a mathematical concept that measures the instantaneous rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding the other variables constant.

2. Why do we need Partial Derivative?

Partial derivative is useful in many areas of science, such as physics, economics, and engineering, as it allows us to analyze and understand complex systems by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts.

3. How is Partial Derivative different from ordinary derivative?

Unlike ordinary derivative, which calculates the rate of change of a function with respect to a single variable, partial derivative calculates the rate of change with respect to one of the variables while holding the others constant.

4. How do you find a Partial Derivative?

To find a partial derivative, you need to differentiate the function with respect to the variable of interest while treating the other variables as constants. The resulting derivative is the partial derivative.

5. What is the notation used for Partial Derivative?

The notation used for partial derivative is similar to ordinary derivative, but with a subscript indicating the variable with respect to which the derivative is being taken. For example, the partial derivative of a function f(x,y) with respect to x is written as ∂f/∂x.