Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More photos (NOT Disneyland!)

1. May 30, 2005 #1

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'll turn the Disneyland pics to Zz now!

I spent the night at a place called Yamzi Ranch, it is a working cattle ranch. Using sound grazing methodology and with a lot of work they have also restored to nearly pristine condition a 20mi stretch of the Williamson river and wetland to create one of the best trout fishing streams in the nation.
    About a mile before our destination we passed this sign.
    [​IMG]

Now let me show you the full shot.

[​IMG]

Note that I was standing in the middle of the road. This is about 35mi from a place called Chliloquin, Oregon. We passed about 3 cars in that 35mi. We figured that this sign may be meant as a hay fever warning!

[​IMG]

This is where I spent the night. The Diesel generator is shut off at about 10pm, flashlights have to do for the rest of the night. The elevation here is 4600ft (1400m) so we had a very nice session of star gazing.

This is Crater Lake National Park, from about 20mi east
    Evening:
    [​IMG]
    Morning
    [​IMG]

Some random shots from around the ranch
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

my younger brother doing what they do here
    [​IMG]

how could I not take this pic
    [​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2005 #2
    Awesome pics! The horses look so natural. And your brother looks like a true cowboy!

Where are the cattle by the way? :tongue2:

4. May 30, 2005 #3

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are some cows in the first of the random shots. But, as a side note, the fly fishing business has be come the larger source of income!

Yamsi Ranch

5. May 30, 2005 #4

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Integral, is that Mt McLouglin in the background of the Crater Lake pictures? I recommend everyone see Crater Lake at least once in their life! It's truly spectacular. The highway just east of Crater Lake (#97) is gorgeous with the ancient volcanic scenery.

6. May 30, 2005 #5
    Looks like you had a great time..umm, Partner? lol

What a wonderful place to be! The stars must of been fantastic!

7. May 30, 2005 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

That looks so nice Intergral!!!

8. May 30, 2005 #7
    Cute last picture ^_^

9. May 30, 2005 #8

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The truncated cone is the remains of Mt Mazama. Crater Lake lies in the caldera of that cone. The cone lies inside of the National Park. We did see Mt McLouglin on the way home. Unfortunately I did not get a picture of it.

I am hoping to make another trip over the mountians, further north later this year, look for some more pics then.

10. Jun 1, 2005 #9

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A self serving bump, I haven't been slandered by Danger yet, so this thread did not get full exposure.

11. Jun 2, 2005 #10

Danger

Gold Member

:redface: Sorry.
    I like the pictures, so I figured I'd leave you alone in this thread. If you really want me to, I'll try to think up something.

12. Jun 3, 2005 #11
    your first photo reminded me of the sign i saw today. It said, "densely settled," and i looked around and saw some houses and lots of trees, and i was like... "what the heck does that mean??" then dan looked at me all like, der what do you think it means? and i'm like "there's lots of trees?"

...whatever... i didn't know they still called refered to populated areas as "settled" and this area wasn't even very bad...

lovely photos though. reminds me of the pictures my parents have from when they lived in montana.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?