1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More physics kinematics problems

1. Sep 17, 2005 #1
    Hey all -

I seem to be struggling overall with problems that are giving two sets of data and what not, for example -

A ball is thrown upward from the top of a 24.4 m tall building. The ball's initial speed is 12 m/s. At the same instant, a person is running on the ground at a distance of 32.4 m from the building. What must be the average speed of the person if he is to catch the ball at the bottom of the building?

I just sit and look at this problem and I die... any help??

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2005 #2
    ok think about this...
    How long will the ball take to reach the bottom of the building? At that very instant the person below has to be at the bottom of the building. You can calculate the time it takes for the ball to reach the ground. You know the distnace the person has to cover.. and the time.. thus u can find his velocity
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?