Preparing for Graduate School: More Physics or Math?

• Math
  • Thread starter Aequiveri
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, if you plan on going to graduate school, it is recommended that you take more math courses and/or computer science courses.
Aequiveri
Hi,

I will be applying to graduate school about a year from now and am planning on studying experimental/theoretical quantum information (and/or quantum optics). Since quantum information is a relatively new field I am having a hard time finding advice on how to prepare.

I have taken all the required physics courses at my university, and now with my remaining year, I am trying to decide if I should take graduate physics courses (quantum, classical, stat. therm., etc.), or take more math courses (earning a double major) and/or computer science courses. I am also wondering how an admission committee for a physics graduate program would consider my application for these various options, i.e., would they look more favorably on more physics or math/csci courses? It may also help to know that my physics gpa is hovering around a 3.0.

Any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have been told by many current professors that physics majors are usually lacking in math courses and math majors are usually lacking in physics courses. I am currently double majoring at Oklahoma State, to cover as much math and physics courses as possible. If you do decide to double major your last year will be completely math. This is what I am doing. Also if you do double major you will need comp sci classes for to complete the requirements for a math major. Other than that your physics courses will apply to most of the requirements for math.

most of the physics types people i talked to all recommended more math for any physics major.

but the one person i knew who really did math (she was doing rudin her sophomore year of college...) said the exact opposite. she was pure math but said none of the math there meant anything to her. in her opinion, take all the math you needed was basic lower div stuff plus some select upper div classes (particularly linear algebra).
now she's doing her phd in applied physics.

if you plan on going to graduate school, why not just spend that time doing research? That way, you can see exactly what you need. if you end up needing a stronger background in group theory (or whatever topics), you can pick up a book and learn exactly what you need on your own time (it is what you'll be doing in grad school after all).

1. What are the main differences between graduate school in physics and mathematics?

In general, graduate school in physics focuses more on experimental research and data analysis, while graduate school in mathematics tends to focus on theoretical research and problem-solving. However, there can be overlap between the two fields, and some graduate programs may offer interdisciplinary studies.

2. Is it necessary to have a strong background in both physics and math to succeed in graduate school?

It is not necessary to have an equal level of expertise in both fields, but having a strong foundation in both can be beneficial. Many graduate programs will have prerequisite courses in both physics and math, and having a strong understanding of both can make the transition to graduate-level coursework smoother.

3. What skills are most important for success in graduate school in physics or math?

Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills are essential for success in both physics and math graduate programs. Additionally, having a strong background in mathematics, including calculus and linear algebra, is important for understanding advanced concepts in both fields.

4. Is there a specific type of undergraduate degree that is preferred for admission to graduate school in physics or math?

While a degree in physics or mathematics may be preferred, it is not always necessary. Many graduate programs also accept students with degrees in related fields such as engineering or computer science. What is most important is having a strong foundation in math and physics concepts, as well as a passion for the subject.

5. What can I do to prepare for the rigorous coursework in graduate school?

To prepare for the rigorous coursework in graduate school, it is important to develop good study habits and time management skills. Additionally, reviewing and strengthening your foundational knowledge in math and physics can also be helpful. It can also be beneficial to seek out research opportunities or internships to gain hands-on experience in your field of interest.