Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More polarised more reactive?

1. Oct 30, 2015 #1
    For acyl chloride the very electronegative oxygen atom attracts electrons of the carbon atom, thus greatly polarised the C-Cl bond. But won't it attract electrons of the Cl atom too? Then with the electrons drifting towards the C atom, it's partial positive charge should be reduced, but why is that wrong?
    Also, since the C-Cl bond is greatly polarised, the bonding should be stronger, isn't it? Like C-F bond is more polar than C-Cl bond, so the fluoroalkane is less reactive than chloroalkane, but why is that acyl chloride, with its very polarised C-Cl bond, so reactive?
    And for chlorobenzene, the electrons on halogen atom are delocalised into the benzene ring, causing the polarity of C-X bond to decrease, but why is it that the bond is stronger than haloalkane?
    I realise that this is a very long question, thank you for your patience

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2015 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Chlorine electronegativity is not much lower than that of oxygen.

4. Oct 31, 2015 #3
    I don't understand

5. Nov 1, 2015 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

You can't assume oxygen draws the electrons from the carbon, and chlorine doesn't.

6. Nov 1, 2015 #5
    Ohhh, I got it
    But what about the next question? I thought the more polarised a bond is, the stronger it is, so it's less reactive?

7. Nov 1, 2015 #6
    Both C=O or C-O and C-Cl are polarized, Oxygen does attract e from Carbon towards itself, and so does Chloride, which leaves the positively charged carbon atom to be easily attacked by nucleophiles (e.g water).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook