1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: More Proofs (2/3 I think I've solved)

1. Mar 30, 2010 #1
    1. Let A be an m × n real matrix of rank r whose m rows are all pairwise distinct. Let
    s ≤ m, and let B be an s × n matrix obtained by choosing s distinct rows of A. Prove
    that

rank(B) ≥ r + s − m.

Solution:
    Assume that s is the largest amount of distinct rows of A.

r = n-dimNul A
    dimNul A= m-s
    r=n-m+s
    rank(B) ≥ n-m +s + s − m
    rank(B) ≥ n+ (-2m +2s)
    rank(B) = n- dimNul B
    dimNul B = 0 since all rows s are linearly independet
    rank(B) = n
    n ≥ n -2m +2s
    0 ≥ -2m + 2s
    2m ≥ 2s
    m ≥ s (dividing by 2)
    Since this is given doesn't this conclude the proof? Or should I plug in the 0 so
    rank(B) ≥ n + x where 0≥x
    n ≥ n + x

2. Let V be a vector space, let p ≤ m, and let b1, . . . , bm be vectors in V such that
    A = {b1, . . . , bp} is a linearly independent set, while C = {b1, . . . , bm} is a spanning set
    for V . Prove that there exists a basis B for V such that A ⊆ B ⊆ C.

Solution:
    I'm going on the fact that it does not mention C is linearly independent, thus by the spanning set theorem there exists a linearly independent set of vectors {bi,...,bk} which spans V. Thus, this set {bi,...,bk} is a basis for V.

This means that the basis must at least be equal to A since B cannot be a basis for V if there is another linearly independent vecotr bp. Meaning:

[tex] A \subseteq B [/tex]

Also since B is a spanning set of V and is comprised of at least {b1,...,bp} it must be a subset of C since C also spans V and includes A.

Thus

[tex] A \subseteq B \subseteq C [/tex]

3. Let {v1 , v2, . . . , vm} be an indexed linearly dependent set of vectors in a vector space V such that v1 is not 0v . Prove that there exists exactly one index 2≤ i≤m with the property that the vector vi can be expressed as a linear combination of the preceding vectors v1, . . . , v(i-1) in a unique way.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2010 #2
    For #3:

Suppose you found j, the lowest index i such that v_i could be written as a unique linear combination of {v1, v2 ... v_(i-1)}. Could you then find another i > j that could be written as a unique linear combination of {v1, v2 ... v_(i-1)}.

Do you know why j has to exist?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook