Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More quasar questions

1. Jul 24, 2006 #1
    What would be some arguments that show that double lobed radio galaxies and seyfert galaxies have similar energy sources?

I mean i know they are powered by black holes right? are there energy arguments i can make though?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2006 #2
    THe type of radiation, its synchtron radiation at very high frequencies, x rays etc. I assume you know that depending on what angle you view the quasar determines its name, ie radio galaxy etc(radio is side on so you dont get the blast of xrays, but they are there even tho its a 'radio galaxy' .

If you analyse the power and frequency of the radiation coming out of the middle perpendicular spiral, and (not actually but you know) compute the required magnetic field and frictional forces required, you see that only a black hole accretion disk could be the cause.

hope that helps

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?