More Rotational Dynamics

In summary: This means that the KE of the cylinder is dependent on its moment of inertia (I) and its angular velocity (\omega).In summary, the conversation is about a question involving a massless string wrapped around a solid cylinder with a hanging block of mass 2.0kg. The participants discuss solving the question using rotational dynamics and Conservation of Mechanical Energy. They also clarify the meaning of certain variables and equations in their solutions. Ultimately, the correct equation is determined to be mgy = 1/2 m_b v^2 + 1/2 I_c omega^2 and the final solution is obtained.
PhysicsDud
Ok I'm in desperate need of some direction! I have the following question in which I must answer twice once using rotational dynamics and then again using Conservation of Mechanical Energy.

Question:
A massless string is wrapped around a solid cylinder as
shown in the diagram at the right. A block of mass
kg 2.0 = m hangs from the string. When released, the
block falls a distance 82 cm in 2.0 s. Starting with a freebody
diagram, calculate the mass of the cylinder.

I have started with ma + 0.5m(cylinder)a= -mg
That got me a mass of 43.2 kg for the cylinder

determining a from the equation v^2 = v2^2 +2a (y-y2)
a = 0.1025 m/s^2

But I don't think that's right

Now for Mechanical Energy I'm completely lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
Using S = ut + 1/2 a t^2, you can find acceleration a.

V = u + at should give you the final velocity.

For rotational part:

Use, Torque = I Alpha.

For mechanical energy:

Use conservation of energy :

Total energy of the system = potantial energy of the weight + Rotational KE of the cylinder + KE of the hanging mass.

i don't understand what s and u represent?

Also, for mechanical energy I tried:
M=m1+m2 I = 0.5 m2 r^2 omega = v/r

0.5Mv1^2 + 0.5Iomega1^2 + Mgh1 =
0.5Mv2^2 + 0.5Iomega2^2 + Mgh2

E initial = m2gh = 2.0kg x 9.80 x 0 = 0

E final = m1gh + 0.5 m1v^2 + 0.5 Iomega^2 = m1gh + 0.5m1v^2 + 1/4 m2v^2

m2 = .425 ?

What have I done wrong?

PhysicsDud said:
i don't understand what s and u represent?
In Gamma's equation, s stands for distance and u stands for initial speed.

Also, for mechanical energy I tried:
M=m1+m2 I = 0.5 m2 r^2 omega = v/r

0.5Mv1^2 + 0.5Iomega1^2 + Mgh1 =
0.5Mv2^2 + 0.5Iomega2^2 + Mgh2
This is a bit confusing:
The cylinder (mass = m2) only rotates (I presume) so the only relevant energy for the cylinder is rotational KE (its gravitational PE doesn't change). The block (mass = m1), on the other hand, falls, so it has both translational KE and gravitational PE. So rewrite your mechanical energy equation.

KE = KE + PE

0.5 m(cylinder) v^2 = 0.5 m(block) v^2 + m(block) gh

v = .82m/s
a = .41 m/s^2

Is this correct?

No. Think this way: Initially nothing is moving so the only energy is potential. As the block falls the potential energy decreases as the kinetic energy increases. The kinetic energy has two parts: The KE of the block ([tex]1/2 m_b v^2[/tex]) plus the rotational KE of the cylinder ([tex]1/2 I_c \omega^2[/tex]).

Alright so let's see now, if there is only PE at first then the equation would be:

PE = KE(block) + KE(Cylinder)
mgy = [tex]1/2 m_b v^2[/tex] + [tex]1/2 I_c omega^2[/tex]

Am I getting there?

yes, You are getting there.

I am confused about the KE(cylinder) in the above equation. Can someone please explain this? Thanks.

Lma12684 said:
I am confused about the KE(cylinder) in the above equation. Can someone please explain this?
Can you be more specific? What exactly do you not understand about it?

An object that rotates about its center of mass has a rotational KE equal to [itex]1/2 I \omega^2[/itex].

1. What is rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects that are rotating or spinning around an axis. It includes concepts such as torque, angular velocity, and angular acceleration.

2. How is rotational dynamics different from linear dynamics?

Rotational dynamics deals with the motion of objects that are rotating, while linear dynamics deals with the motion of objects that are moving in a straight line. In rotational dynamics, the motion of an object is described in terms of its angular position, velocity, and acceleration, rather than its linear position, velocity, and acceleration.

3. What is the role of torque in rotational dynamics?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force acting on an object. In rotational dynamics, torque is responsible for causing changes in an object's angular velocity and acceleration. It is equal to the product of the force applied on the object and the distance from the axis of rotation.

4. How is rotational inertia related to rotational dynamics?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. In rotational dynamics, objects with larger rotational inertia require more torque to produce the same amount of angular acceleration compared to objects with smaller rotational inertia.

5. Can rotational dynamics be applied to non-rigid objects?

Yes, rotational dynamics can be applied to both rigid and non-rigid objects. However, for non-rigid objects, the distribution of mass and the moment of inertia may change as the object rotates, making the analysis more complex. In these cases, techniques such as the parallel axis theorem may be used to simplify the calculations.