Why is there more rust in a solution with less salt?

• Thread starter prime-factor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rust Salt
In summary, based on the conversation, it seems that the presence of salt in the solution may be inhibiting corrosion due to reduced solubility of ions. However, there is also the possibility that the corrosion could be limited by oxygen solubility and diffusion, which may decrease with higher salinity. The exact mechanism is still being debated and further research is needed to fully understand the role of salt in corrosion.
prime-factor
more rust in less salt??

As part of my chemistry experiments on corrosion, I am noticing that the steel nails are rusting more in solutions of 3.5g/L salt, than 35g/L salt. What could be some reasons to explain this??

I would have thought that the 35g/L solutions would have lead to more rust, not less.
Perhaps there is another reaction going on.

Chemistry news on Phys.org

No idea, but I would start checking oxygen solubility and difusion coefficient in the concentrated NaCl solution.

Reminds me that I really should brush up on my electrochemistry. :(

I'm guessing that corrosion is being inhibited due to to reduced solubility of the resultant ions, due to the high ionic strength of the solution. Although Borek's suggestions are good too.

alxm said:
I'm guessing that corrosion is being inhibited due to to reduced solubility of the resultant ions, due to the high ionic strength of the solution.

That makes me think... I would expect quite the opposite, increase of the solubility. Fe3+ is easily complexed by the Cl-. But a lot depends on the solution pH, as Cl- can be too weak complexing agent to prevent hydrolysis and Fe(OH)3 precipitation.

Could be nails are corroding more, just there is less rust visible.

In the low saline solution, there is both more visible surface rust on the nails, as well as flaked off rust. The high saline solutions have almost no surface rust, but a little less flaked off rust than the low saline solutions.

Borek said:
That makes me think... I would expect quite the opposite

Yeah, no you're probably right. Corrosion should normally increase with ionic strength.

The oxygen idea seems plausible though - it http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/oxygen-solubility-water-d_841.html" oxygen solubility does decrease with salinity. Corrosion in water is likely oxygen-limited (unlike in air).

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the relationship between rust and salt?

Rust is a type of corrosion that occurs when iron or other metals are exposed to oxygen and moisture. Salt, particularly sodium chloride, can accelerate the rusting process by providing electrolytes that speed up the chemical reaction.

Why does rust occur more quickly in saltwater or in areas with high salt content?

Saltwater contains a higher concentration of dissolved ions, including chloride ions, which can facilitate the transfer of electrons during the rusting process. This makes rust occur more quickly in saltwater compared to freshwater.

How does the amount of salt affect the rate of rusting?

The more salt present, the faster rusting will occur. This is because salt increases the electrical conductivity of the solution, allowing for a more rapid transfer of electrons and thus speeding up the rusting process. However, too much salt can also create a protective layer that can slow down rusting.

Is it possible for rust to occur without salt?

Yes, rust can still occur without the presence of salt. However, it may take longer for the process to occur as salt helps to speed up the chemical reaction. Other factors such as humidity and oxygen levels can also contribute to the rusting process.

How can rust be prevented in areas with high salt content?

To prevent rust in areas with high salt content, protective coatings or materials that are resistant to corrosion can be used. Regular maintenance and cleaning can also help to remove any salt buildup and prevent rusting. Additionally, using dehumidifiers or controlling the humidity levels can also help to slow down the rusting process.