Mussels Found Near North Pole: Global Warming Sign

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the U.N. scientists say that the Arctic is now warming faster than any other region because of human emissions of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases released from burning fossil fuels.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Mussels found near North Pole in global warming sign

...The climate is changing fast," said Geir Johnsen, a professor at the Norwegian University for Science and Technology who was among experts who found the bivalves. Molluscs were a "very good indicator that the climate is warming," he said [continued]

http://www.planetark.com/dailynewsstory.cfm/newsid/27235/story.htm

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Why are these sorts of events unprecidented in recorded history? El Nino runs what...a 14 years cycle?

I thought the El Nino cycles were getting shorter?
Once every 4 years if I'm not mistaken.

The ENSO (El Nino/Southern oscillation) is a collective warming effect that spans the Southern Pacific from Australia to South America. The two names are what the local effects were called at the two ends of the span. Historically it had an 11 year cycle - some people compared that to the Sun's sunspot cycles of 22 years. It does seem to be shortening, and that may be one more result of global warming.

And there hasn't been any change in the sunspot cycles?
Or any change in the sun's activity/output for that matter?

I'm not a big fan of blaming all clamate changes on Co2 (and other gasses/dust) emissions.
I find the mere blieve that humans can affect the planet that much arrogant to say the least.
And since i haven't seen any conclusive evidence that supports the "greenhouse" theory, i remain sceptical.

Marijn said:
I'm not a big fan of blaming all clamate changes on Co2 (and other gasses/dust) emissions.
I find the mere blieve that humans can affect the planet that much arrogant to say the least.
And since i haven't seen any conclusive evidence that supports the "greenhouse" theory, i remain sceptical.

At what point does the posted article blame all climate change on CO2 or other gases? In fact, how much time does the article even spend on greenhouse gas emissions?

Ok i admit, it was a bit off topic.

I was continuing on the two line above it.
The fact that things other than Co2 can be involved is indeed off topic, admitted again.

It's not off topic

U.N. scientists say the Arctic is now warming faster than any other region because of human emissions of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases released from burning fossil fuels in cars, factories and power plants/

So it's okay to ponder about the preposterous propaganda.

Last edited:
Heh I missed that in the article. My bad Marijn.

1. What is the significance of mussels being found near the North Pole?

The significance of mussels being found near the North Pole is that it indicates a significant shift in the environmental conditions in the Arctic region. Mussels are typically found in warmer waters and their presence near the North Pole suggests that the water temperature is increasing due to global warming.

2. How do mussels indicate global warming?

Mussels are highly sensitive to changes in water temperature and quality. They are also stationary creatures, meaning they cannot easily move to a new location if their environment becomes unsuitable. Therefore, the presence of mussels in the Arctic region suggests that the water temperature has increased to a level that is suitable for their survival, which is a clear indication of global warming.

3. Is this the first time mussels have been found near the North Pole?

No, this is not the first time that mussels have been found near the North Pole. In fact, there have been previous reports of mussels being found in the Arctic region, but the frequency and extent of their presence is increasing due to the ongoing effects of global warming.

4. What other species are being affected by global warming in the Arctic region?

Many species in the Arctic region are being affected by global warming, including polar bears, walruses, and seals. These animals rely on sea ice for hunting, resting, and breeding, and as the sea ice continues to melt due to rising temperatures, their habitats and food sources are being disrupted.

5. What can we do to slow down global warming and protect these species?

To slow down global warming and protect these species, it is important to reduce our carbon footprint by using renewable energy sources, reducing our consumption of fossil fuels, and making lifestyle changes such as using public transportation or biking instead of driving. It is also important to support conservation efforts and advocate for policies that address climate change.