More Storage Space: Contributing Member Benefits?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, there is no limit on total attachment space for the registered usergroup, but there is a single file size limit of 100kb. However, some users have reported reaching a 1Mb cap on total attachment space, which may be a glitch or a result of exceeding the single file size limit. Others have not experienced this issue and it is unclear why some users have a limit while others do not.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Does becoming a contributing member give one more storage space for uploads?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean your attachment limit?

Yes.

I'm not aware of that incresasing, but maybe I just didn't notice. I know that your PM storage limit increases.

I haven't checked in awhile, but I don't believe I ever set limits on any usergroup.

Usergroups?

I'm asking about personal attachment space. I've attached 1Meg+ images over the years and have capped out. So I've begun deleting images from old threads in order to post new ones. Seems a shame that those old-yet-perfectly-good threads are beginning to "rot".

DaveC426913 said:
Usergroups?

I'm asking about personal attachment space. I've attached 1Meg+ images over the years and have capped out. So I've begun deleting images from old threads in order to post new ones. Seems a shame that those old-yet-perfectly-good threads are beginning to "rot".

You are in the "registered" usergroup. This group has no limits on total attachment space. Maybe the images you are trying to upload are too big. The single file size limit for everyone is 100kb. Which is quite small, I will increase to 300kb.

There was a fluke before where a thread was duplicated that had a lot of attachments and a member contacted me to advise that he had reached the attachment limit and could no longer upload. I found the thread and deleted it and it freed up his limit. So, I do believe that there is a cap.

Evo said:
There was a fluke before where a thread was duplicated that had a lot of attachments and a member contacted me to advise that he had reached the attachment limit and could no longer upload. I found the thread and deleted it and it freed up his limit. So, I do believe that there is a cap.

There actually was for gold members, but I took care of that.

Greg Bernhardt said:
You are in the "registered" usergroup. This group has no limits on total attachment space. Maybe the images you are trying to upload are too big. The single file size limit for everyone is 100kb. Which is quite small, I will increase to 300kb.

There is a cap and it is 1Mb total. When I crossed the limit (~40K at a time - I'm aware of the file limit), I could not upload anymore until I'd deleted enough to go back under 1Mb.

I just attemped to upload a 40K file and got an error - see attached.

(And attaching the error has gotten me 25K closer to my limit. I have only 15K left. Time to switch to ASCII art. Boo.)

Attachments

• PFquota.gif
    PFquota.gif
    26.7 KB · Views: 399
Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
There is a cap and it is 1Mb total. When I crossed the limit (40K at a time - I'm aware of the file limit), I could not upload anymore until I'd deleted enough to go back under 1Mb.

Dave if you could try to reach that cap again and screenshot the error message. According to my settings there is no limit for you.

What a great idea...

Greg Bernhardt said:
Dave if you could try to reach that cap again and screenshot the error message. According to my settings there is no limit for you.

:rofl: Okay, if he hadn't just done that, I'd be laughing even harder...he's saying he exceeded his attachment limit, and you're suggesting he upload another attachment to demonstrate it. :biggrin:

I know it used to tell me there was an attachment limit, but it never actually stopped me from attaching anything (but now I can't recall if that was before or after I was promoted to mentor, so I might have assumed members had a limit and getting to exceed it was a perk for mentors).

Dave, out of curiousity, do you recall running into this problem before the last upgrade? You might not be able to remember, or you may have only just recently hit your limit, but I'm wondering if this is another thing that was working fine before and the last upgrade reset something.

And, I agree, it would be a shame to have an attachment limit, especially if they're being used to help illustrate ideas...someone reading an old thread shouldn't have to read it without benefit of those attachments if they are helpful for them.

Can others (non staff, non gold members) please click manage attachements and see if there are limits on your upload space? Like I said, according to the settings in front of my face, it says there are no limits, so I am at a loss right now.

Okay, if he hadn't just done that, I'd be laughing even harder...he's saying he exceeded his attachment limit, and you're suggesting he upload another attachment to demonstrate it.

There are other ways to get a file on the internet than through PF upload ;)

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
Dave, out of curiousity, do you recall running into this problem before the last upgrade? You might not be able to remember, or you may have only just recently hit your limit,
The latter. This is the first time I reached 1Mb.

Though the progress bar itself only appeared recently - a couple of months ago; I'd never seen it before then. I assumed that was a new feature.

Greg Bernhardt said:
There are other ways to get a file on the internet than through PF upload ;)
Right but then that thread is tied inextricably to my keeping the attachment up, which I can't always do. A year or two ago, I lost a bunch of graphics from my ISP and now my old blog entries are missing pix. Same thing can happen here.

testing testing...

Attachments

• 011_Milwaukee_Skyline.jpg
    011_Milwaukee_Skyline.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 309
  • milwaukeeskyline.gif
    milwaukeeskyline.gif
    88.8 KB · Views: 409
  • Prime_Logo.gif
    Prime_Logo.gif
    5.9 KB · Views: 382
more testing... seems to work fine for me

Attachments

• fizzy_lizzy_soda.jpg
    fizzy_lizzy_soda.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 325
  • explodingsoda.jpg
    explodingsoda.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 363
  • guitartab.txt
    3.8 KB · Views: 431
Well tie me up pass electrical current through my body and call me wiggly, I don't seem to have a limit anymore either...

Huzzah!

Attachments

• pool_table3.jpg
    pool_table3.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 302

What are the benefits of becoming a contributing member for more storage space?

Becoming a contributing member allows you to access additional storage space for your scientific research data. This means you can store more data without having to worry about running out of space.

How much additional storage space will I receive as a contributing member?

The amount of additional storage space you receive as a contributing member may vary depending on the specific membership plan you choose. However, on average, contributing members can receive anywhere from 25GB to 100GB of extra storage space.

Can I upgrade my storage space if I become a contributing member?

Yes, you can upgrade your storage space at any time by becoming a contributing member. This allows you to have access to even more storage space for your research data.

How long will my additional storage space be available as a contributing member?

Your additional storage space will be available as long as you maintain your contributing membership. If you decide to cancel your membership, you will still have access to your original storage space, but the additional space will no longer be available.

Are there any other benefits to becoming a contributing member besides more storage space?

Yes, as a contributing member, you will also have access to exclusive features such as data encryption, advanced data management tools, and priority customer support. Additionally, your contributions will help support ongoing scientific research and development efforts.