Solve English Word Puzzles: FLOUR, TERN, THIRSTY & More

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strange
In summary: Stranger, I think you meant to reply to Evo's post. I am the summarizer and do not provide answers. Sorry!
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
What six letter word in the English language contains ten other words without rearranging any of its letters?

On that same order, what seven letter word in the English language contains ten other words without rearranging any of its letters?

What unusual property do the words FLOUR, TERN, and THIRSTY have in common?

Name an English word of more than 2 letters that both begins and ends with the letters 'he' (in that order). (Actually, there are two possible correct answers -- and "hehe" is not an acceptable solution.)

What is the longest non-hyphenated word in English in which no letters are repeated (each letter appears only once)?

There is a common English word that is seven letters long. Each time you remove a letter from it, it still remains a common English word -- from seven letters right on down to a single letter. What is the original word, and what are the words that it becomes after removing a letter at a time?

Ok, this one is just for fun - Rearrange the letters in the words "new door" to make one word.

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
Name an English word of more than 2 letters that both begins and ends with the letters 'he' (in that order). (Actually, there are two possible correct answers -- and "hehe" is not an acceptable solution.)

Headache. Working on the rest.

loseyourname said:
Headache. Working on the rest.

Heartache.

My kids are both!

Njorl

Evo said:
What six letter word in the English language contains ten other words without rearranging any of its letters?

On that same order, what seven letter word in the English language contains ten other words without rearranging any of its letters?

There is a common English word that is seven letters long. Each time you remove a letter from it, it still remains a common English word -- from seven letters right on down to a single letter. What is the original word, and what are the words that it becomes after removing a letter at a time?

I'm getting stumped for now, but if you reduce the requirement to a six and seven-letter words that contain nine other words and a six letter word that is built entirely from smaller words, I can do it with:

ANTICS

1. A
2. AN
3. ANT
4. ANTI
5. ANTIC
6. ANTICS
7. TIC
8. TICS
9. I

FRANTIC

1. RAN
2. RANT
3. A
4. AN
5. ANT
6. ANTI
7. ANTIC
8. TIC
9. I

loseyourname said:
I'm getting stumped for now, but if you reduce the requirement to a six and seven-letter words that contain nine other words and a six letter word that is built entirely from smaller words, I can do it with:

ANTICS

1. A
2. AN
3. ANT
4. ANTI
5. ANTIC
6. ANTICS
7. TIC
8. TICS
9. I

FRANTIC

1. RAN
2. RANT
3. A
4. AN
5. ANT
6. ANTI
7. ANTIC
8. TIC
9. I
Hey that's pretty good!

Evo said:
What is the longest non-hyphenated word in English in which no letters are repeated (each letter appears only once)?

uncopywritable

Last edited:
Parth Dave said:
Evo said:
What is the longest non-hyphenated word in English in which no letters are repeated (each letter appears only once)?QUOTE]

uncopywriteable
That's correct!

Of course, Parth, you spelled it wrong. The 'e' is obviously repeated in your version.

- Warren

chroot said:
Of course, Parth, you spelled it wrong. The 'e' is obviously repeated in your version.

- Warren
I didn't even notice. :redface: It's uncopyrightable.

Evo said:
I didn't even notice. :redface: It's uncopyrightable.
You so fun! Evo!

Last edited:
Not sure if this is spelled correctly:
ATENDED (A AT ATE ATEND TEN TEND TENDED END ENDED)
or
ATENDER (A AT ATE ATEND TEN TEND TENDER END ENDER)

Six letters
SPARED (SPA SPAR SPARE PA PAR PARED A ARE RE RED - not sure if pare is a word.)

Seven letters
PATENTS (PA PAT PATE A AT ATE TEN TENT TENTS ENT ENTS)
PARENTS (PA PAR PARENT A ARE RE REN RENT RENTS ENT ENTS)
PANTIES (PA PAN PANT A AN ANT TI TIE TIES)

NateTG said:
or

Six letters

Seven letters

I think they're spelt 'attended' & 'attender'.

'Pare' - it's how you peel the skin of an apple or orange. I'm not sure 're' is acceptable, though it's an allowed Scrabble word.

NateTG said:
or

Six letters

Seven letters
You got the six letter one correct, but not the 7 letter one. Ent isn't a true word in English, it would be considered an acronym or abbreviation. But very close!

chroot said:

- Warren

umm... uh... oops :shy:

Evo said:

I believe we had this one and I declared it in the other strange words thread. So here I go in this one ... UNCOPYRIGHTABLE. :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)

Evo said:
What unusual property do the words FLOUR, TERN, and THIRSTY have in common?

I think (and I don't know why) that they are anogramatic (i.e. the letters will rearrange to make another word). TERN = RENT but as I am no good with word puzzles I cannot think of any for the others.l

Evo said:

Headache (although it has already been had) and Heartache

Evo said:

I can get to a five letter word but not a seven. How common is it?

Evo said:
Ok, this one is just for fun - Rearrange the letters in the words "new door" to make one word.

Woodern? Is that even a word? (LOL)

The Bob (2004 ©)

Evo said:
You got the six letter one correct, but not the 7 letter one. Ent isn't a true word in English, it would be considered an acronym or abbreviation. But very close!

An ent is a mythical tree-like creature. They feature, for example, in Tolkien's "The Two Towers."

NateTG said:
An ent is a mythical tree-like creature. They feature, for example, in Tolkien's "The Two Towers."

It is also the abbreviation for Ear, Nose and Throat in medicine, it is the basic data structure of Udanax Gold and it stands for Education with New Technologies.

The Bob (2004 ©)

The Bob said:
It is also the abbreviation for Ear, Nose and Throat in medicine, it is the basic data structure of Udanax Gold and it stands for Education with New Technologies.

Evo claimed that ENT was not a proper word since it was an abrreviation (AFAIK nobody actually pronounces it.) The examples you're giving fit into that category.

NateTG said:
Evo claimed that ENT was not a proper word since it was an abrreviation (AFAIK nobody actually pronounces it.) The examples you're giving fit into that category.

Not the Gold. :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)

Evo said:

NEW DOOR- rearranged = ONE WORD
that's a classic

NateTG said:

Evo must give it now.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Mistress Lilith said:
NEW DOOR- rearranged = ONE WORD
that's a classic
Heheh, yes, you are correct.

So, is everyone ready for the answers to the other words?

Evo said:
So, is everyone ready for the answers to the other words?

Apart from being annoyed I didn't get anymore then yes. Answers.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Evo said:

I know this is reviving a dead topic, but I'd just like to point out that there's a second answer to this riddle. DERMATOGLYPHICS, the study of fingerprints. :)

1. What are some common English word puzzles?

Some common English word puzzles include anagrams, word jumbles, word searches, and cryptograms.

2. How do you solve an anagram?

To solve an anagram, you need to rearrange the letters of a word or phrase to form a new word or phrase. One helpful strategy is to look for common prefixes or suffixes and try to form words using those.

3. What is a word jumble?

A word jumble is a puzzle where a group of letters is scrambled to create a word or phrase. The goal is to unscramble the letters to form the correct word or phrase.

4. How do you approach a word search puzzle?

To solve a word search puzzle, start by looking for the longest words on the list. Then, scan the grid for the first letter of each word and try to find the remaining letters in order. It also helps to look for patterns and common letter combinations.

5. What are cryptograms?

Cryptograms are word puzzles where each letter in a phrase is replaced with a different letter. The goal is to decipher the code and reveal the original phrase.