Solving the Int. of Sec^3x Tan x: What is Correct?

In summary, the conversation was about solving the integral of \int {\sec ^3 x\,\,\tan x\,\,dx} using the substitution method. One person made a mistake in their solution, but the other person caught it and provided a shorter method. They also discussed the importance of checking derivatives to ensure the correctness of the answer.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Homework Statement

[tex]
\int {\sec ^3 x\,\,\tan x\,\,dx}
[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]
u = \sec x
[/tex]
This is my guess at u.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]
\frac{{du}}{{dx}} = \sec x\,\,\tan x,\,\,\,dx = \frac{{du}}{{\sec x\,\,\tan x}}
[/tex]

[tex]
\int {\sec ^3 x\,\,\tan x\,\,dx} = \int {u^3 \,\,\tan x\,\,\frac{{du}}{{\sec x\,\,\tan x}}} = \int {u^3 \,\,\tan x\,\,\frac{{du}}{{u\,\,\tan x}} = }
[/tex]

[tex]
\int {u^3 \,\,\,\,\frac{{du}}{u}} = \int {\frac{{u^3 }}{u}} du = \int {u^2 du} = 2u + C =
[/tex]

[tex]
2\sec x + C
[/tex]

But the back of the book says
[tex]
\frac{1}{3}\sec ^3 x + C
[/tex]

Playing around with it on the graphing software, I find that my answer and the book's answer produce different graphs, however, they both seem to have the problem stated in the question as their derivatives. Is one answer more correct than the other?

[tex]
\frac{1}{3}\sec ^3 x + C
[/tex]
hw5_5_37a.GIF

[tex]
2\sec x + C
[/tex]
hw5_5_37b.GIF

Physics news on Phys.org
The integral of u2 is u3/3, not 2u. You differentiated instead of integrating.

oops. Thanks for catching that.

If the derivatives are equal, the functions can only differ by a constant. Do not accept answers as 'more correct', its right or wrong.

Edit: I just checked the post again, your working is a lot more than I'd have thought >.< Remember how substitution should be used when the function and its derivative is there? Rewrite the integral as:

[tex]\int \sec^2 x \sec x \tan x dx[/tex] Then Letting u= sec x, [tex]\int u^2 du[/tex], which seems faster to me ...just a tip.

Last edited:
Thanks, Gib. I checked the derivatives with the graphing software, dragging the derivative bar across the function, and watching it tangentally ride the curves of the function. But double checking this after fixing my error, I realized that the derivatives are almost, but not quite identical.

Thanks for the shorter method. We both got to u^2 du, but it took me more steps.

1. What is the purpose of solving the integral of sec^3x tan x?

The purpose of solving the integral of sec^3x tan x is to find the antiderivative or the original function from which the given derivative was obtained.

2. Is there a specific method for solving this integral?

Yes, there is a specific method called the substitution method that is commonly used to solve the integral of sec^3x tan x. It involves substituting a variable for a portion of the integrand and then using integration rules to solve the resulting integral.

3. Are there any tricks or tips for solving this integral more easily?

One trick for solving the integral of sec^3x tan x is to rewrite the integrand using trigonometric identities. For example, you can rewrite sec^3x as (secx)(sec^2x) and then use the identity tan^2x + 1 = sec^2x to further simplify the integral.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving this integral?

One common mistake when solving the integral of sec^3x tan x is forgetting to substitute a variable before attempting to integrate. It is also important to be careful with signs and remember to include the constant of integration when solving indefinite integrals.

5. Can the integral of sec^3x tan x be solved using other methods?

Yes, there are other methods such as integration by parts and trigonometric substitution that can also be used to solve the integral of sec^3x tan x. However, the substitution method is often the most efficient and straightforward method for solving this type of integral.