1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More Taylor Polynomials

1. Nov 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the Taylor Polynomial T2(x) (degree 2) for f(x) expanded about X0.

f(x)=3x + cos(3x)

X0= 0

Find the error formula and then find the actual (absolute) error using T2(0.6) to approx. f(0.6).

3. The attempt at a solution

As I've said on this forum before, the text isn't very clear on Taylor Polynomials. They only give me one example and all I could think of doing here was following along with that. I also used Maple, which I've had trouble with before when it comes to trig. functions.

I came up with 1+3x-9/2 X2 Is that the answer to the first part?

And then the last part (actual absolute error) would be to sub in 0.6 for x? They never once mentioned error formula in my text and my teacher is mia.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2009 #2
    Oop... edited question to make more sense. :)

4. Nov 3, 2009 #3
    You need to find f'(x) and f''(x), then f(0), f'(0) and f''(0).. sub these into the Taylor polynomial general formula (should be able to find it online).

I'm presuming error formula is just what you do to find the error- ie its the absolute value of f(x) - T2(x)
    (can't do subscript..)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook