More Taylor series stuff, HELP

In summary, the approximation of the function ` f(x) = ln(1+x) ` by ` T_(4)(x) ` is within 0.001 of the right answer for x within the range ` 0 < x < 1.346572421578 `.
the7joker7

Homework Statement

Let T_(4)(x): be the Taylor polynomial of degree 4 of the function ` f(x) = ln(1+x) ` at `a = 0 `.

Suppose you approximate ` f(x) ` by ` T_(4)(x) `, find all positive values of x for which this approximation is within 0.001 of the right answer. (Hint: use the alternating series approximation.)

The Attempt at a Solution

I got to be honest, I'm not entirely sure where to even start with this...I've gotten my sealegs when it comes to these series and how to find them and stuff, and I know how to find the error in an alternating series, but I don't know how to do it with an ln function.

The answer is 0.346572421578, fyi.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know it, tell me, how DO you find the error in an alternating series?

Well, if you want to find the maximum possible error in an alternating series, you'd just take the next term. For example if you want to find the error in a series after 10 terms, the max possible errror is the 11th term.

Right. Good! So what's the appropriate term in that taylor series?

Is it 4?

the7joker7 said:
Is it 4?

I think the 4th degree taylor polynomial has a last term with x^4 in it. What's the term after that? And not just x^5, I want the coefficient too.

If I'm on the same page as you...

(f'''''(x) * (x - a))/x!

Is that what you're talking about?

If you mean (ln(1+x))'''''*x^5/5!, yes. You are expanding around a=0. And f(x)=ln(1+x).

So the 5th derivative of ln(1 + x) would be 1/((1 + x)^5), correct?

No, the coefficient is wrong. When you differentiate 1/(1+x)^2 don't you get -2/(1+x)^3? What happened to factors like the 2?

So, let me see...using that as a template, it would be...

f(x) = ln(1 + x)

f'(x) = 1/(1 + x)^2

f''(x) = -2/(1 + x)^3

f'''(x) = 6/(1 + x)^4

f''''(x) = -24/(1 + x)^5

f'''''(x) = 120/(1 + x)^6

Does that work?

Doh. f'(x)=1/(1+x). Shuffle your results around a bit. You are on the right track though.

f(x) = ln(1 + x)

f'(x) = 1/(1 + x)

f''(x) = 1/(1 + x)^2

f'''(x) = -2/(1 + x)^3

f''''(x) = 6/(1 + x)^4

f'''''(x) = -24/(1 + x)^5

How bout that?

The sign is wrong. That went wrong in the f'' step. But that's ok, we don't need that. So now, ta da, the term you want if f'''''(a)*x^5/5!, where a=0. Do you agree?

So basically, I want to find where

(24/(1 + x)^2) * x^5/5!

is less than 0.001?

No, f'''''(a), not f'''''(x). a=0. Look at the definition of taylor series. The variable in the derivative is not x. It's the point you are expanding around, a. It's a CONSTANT. It's easier than you are making it out to be.

Last edited:
If a is 0 it would just simplify to 0...shouldn't a = 4 since it's the 4th term?

What book are you getting your taylor series information out of? NO! The x part is x^n/n!. With n=5. The derivative part is f''''''(a) where a=0. That's what your problem statement says!? For example, f'(x)=1/(1+x). So f'(a) where a=0 is 1. It doesn't just simplify to 0!?

I'm sorry, you're starting to lose me...sorry if I'm being a bother, but don't you insert a for x?

The taylor series for f expanded around x=a is
f(a)+f'(a)*(x-a)+f''(a)*(x-a)^2/2!+f'''(a)*(x-a)^3/3!+...
Does that ring a bell? x and a play two completely different roles. x is the expansion parameter and a is the point you are expanding around. a is a CONSTANT, not a variable.

So, if I'm understanding correctly...the term I'm looking for will be...

((24/(1 + 4)^4) * (4 - 0)^5)/5!

That gives me something really close to the right answer...ugh, I know I'm so close.

You aren't understanding me. f'''''(a)=24/(1+a)^5. a=0. f'''''(a)=24. Why are you putting a=4? I TOLD YOU NOT TO. I've said a=0, a=0, a=0 over and over again.

Last edited:
Alright...

24 * x^5/5!

And then solve for what x makes the error less than 0.001?

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Thank you!

1. What is a Taylor series?

A Taylor series is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms, where each term is a progressively higher order derivative of the function evaluated at a specific point. It is used to approximate a function near a specific point.

2. How is a Taylor series calculated?

A Taylor series is calculated using the Taylor series formula, which is: f(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + f''(a)(x-a)^2/2! + f'''(a)(x-a)^3/3! + ... where f(x) is the function, a is the point of approximation, and f'(a), f''(a), etc. are the derivatives evaluated at point a.

3. What is the purpose of a Taylor series?

The purpose of a Taylor series is to approximate a function near a specific point. It is useful in calculus and other areas of mathematics to help understand the behavior of a function and make predictions about its values. It is also used in physics and engineering to model real-world phenomena.

4. How do you know when to stop adding terms in a Taylor series?

The terms in a Taylor series become less and less significant as the order of the term increases. Generally, it is acceptable to stop adding terms when the magnitude of the next term becomes very small, or when the desired level of accuracy is achieved.

5. Can a Taylor series be used to calculate the value of a function at any point?

No, a Taylor series can only be used to approximate the value of a function near a specific point. The further away from this point, the less accurate the approximation becomes. In some cases, however, a Taylor series can be used to calculate the value of a function at a point outside its interval of convergence.