1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More triangle woes

1. Aug 28, 2008 #1
    In a 3-4-5 triangle, how long is a line extending from the 90 degree angle down to the middle of the hypothenus.

Thats all I've been given. I think I am supposed to figure this out without trig, just basic geometric properties. But I'm stumped.

I can see that the hypothenus is divided into two 2.5 halves, but I cant seem to make any right angle triangles where I know two lengths.

k

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2008 #2
    Use the cosine rule.

4. Aug 28, 2008 #3
    I wanted a solution without trig.

But I just figured it out. A 90 degree angle has to be located on a circle with diameter equal to the hypothenus, and so the line must be equal to the radius of the circle, and so it is 2.5

k

5. Aug 28, 2008 #4
    Your answer is correct.

6. Aug 29, 2008 #5
    You could have also just used Pythagorean theorem and a system of equations with 2 variables to work it out.

7. Aug 29, 2008 #6
    Never mind my last post. I read the problem incorrectly. I thought the line was perpendicular to the hypotenuse, not at its midpoint.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?