1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More Trig Subsitution

1. Mar 14, 2007 #1
    Aye gents, I've been working on a problem that doesn't have a solution at the back of the book and would be grateful if you'd compare my answer with yours.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex]\int\frac{t^5}{\sqrt{t^2 + 2}}\ dt[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex]t = \sqrt{2}\tan\theta[/tex]

[tex]dt = \sqrt{2}\sec^2\theta\ d\theta[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\int\frac{(\sqrt{2}\tan\theta)^5}{\sqrt{(\sqrt{2}\tan\theta)^2 + 2}}\ \sqrt{2}\sec^2\theta\ d\theta[/tex]

[tex]\int\frac{8\tan^5\theta\sec^2\theta}{\sqrt{2\tan^2\theta + 2}\ d\theta}[/tex]

[tex]8\int\frac{\tan^5\theta\sec^2\theta}{\sqrt{2}\sec\theta}\ d\theta[/tex]

[tex]\frac{8}{\sqrt{2}}\int\tan^5\theta\sec\theta\ d\theta[/tex]

[tex]\frac{8}{\sqrt{2}}\int\frac{\sin^5\theta}{\cos^6\theta}\ d\theta[/tex]

[tex]\frac{8}{\sqrt{2}}\int\frac{[(1 - \cos^2\theta)(1 - \cos^2\theta)]}{\cos^6\theta}\ \sin\theta\ d\theta[/tex]

[tex]\frac{8}{\sqrt{2}}\int[\frac{1}{\cos^6\theta} - \frac{2}{\cos^4\theta} + \frac{1}{\cos^2\theta}]\ \sin\theta\ d\theta[/tex]

[tex]\frac{8}{\sqrt{2}}\ [\frac{-1}{7}\ln([\frac{\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{t^2 + 2}}]^7) + \frac{2}{5}\ln([\frac{\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{t^2 + 2}}]^5) - \frac{1}{3}\ln([\frac{\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{t^2 + 2}}]^3)]\ +\ C[/tex]

Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Where the heck are all of the logs coming from??? Besides, you don't even need to do a trig substitution for this one. Just put u=t^2+2.

4. Mar 14, 2007 #3

VietDao29

Homework Helper

As Dick has pointed out, you are all correct from the start, except the last part, why should ln appear in that expression?
    It should be continued by letting u = cos x like this:

[tex]...= - \frac{8}{\sqrt{2}} \int \left( \frac{1}{\cos ^ 6 \theta} - \frac{2}{\cos ^ 4 \theta} + \frac{1}{\cos ^ 2 \theta} \right) d(\cos (\theta)) = \frac{8}{\sqrt{2}} \left( \frac{1}{5 \cos ^ 5 \theta} - \frac{2}{3 \cos ^ 3 \theta} + \frac{1}{\cos \theta} \right) + C[/tex]

Now, change everything back to t.

[tex]t = \sqrt{2} \tan \theta , \quad \theta \in \left[ -\frac{\pi}{2} , \ \frac{\pi}{2} \right][/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow \tan \theta = \frac{t}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

Note that [tex]\theta \in \left[ -\frac{\pi}{2} , \ \frac{\pi}{2} \right] \Rightarrow \cos \theta \geq 0[/tex], so:

[tex]\cos \theta = \sqrt{\frac{1}{1 + \tan ^ 2 \theta}} = \sqrt{\frac{2}{2 + t ^ 2}}[/tex]

Just plug all that in and see what you get. :)

-----------------

Or, even faster, you can do it like this:
    [tex]\int \frac{t ^ 5}{\sqrt{t ^ 2 + 2}} dt = \frac{1}{2} \int \frac{t ^ 4}{\sqrt{t ^ 2 + 2}} d(t ^ 2 + 2)[/tex]

[tex]= \int t ^ 4 d(\sqrt{t ^ 2 + 2}) = \int \left( (\sqrt{t ^ 2 + 2}) ^ 2 - 2 \right) ^ 2 d(\sqrt{t ^ 2 + 2}) = ...[/tex]
    Can you go from here? :)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2007
  5. Mar 14, 2007 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That looks like the hard way to me. Rewrite the integral as
    [itex]\int \frac{t^5}{\sqrt{t^2+ 1}dt= n\int \frac{(t^2)^2}{\sqrt{t^2+1} (dt)[/itex]so, with u= t2+1[/itex]] we have
    [tex]\int \frac{(u-1)^2}{u^{a+1)}du[/tex]

6. Mar 15, 2007 #5
    What's wrong with having natural logs in the solution? How does one know to avoid ln when approaching this problem?

I tried Dick's substitution of [tex]u = t^2 + 2[/tex] and didn't get very far.

[tex]u = t^2 + 2[/tex]

[tex]du = 2t\ dt[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\int\frac{t^4}{\sqrt{t^2 + 2}}\ 2t[/tex]

Integration by parts after this step looks like something I want to avoid. Maybe I'm a bit unclear of how to use Dick's substitution?

Thank you for the ideas, VietDao, but I'm thrown off by the suggestion...

[tex]\frac{1}{2} \int \frac{t ^ 4}{\sqrt{t ^ 2 + 2}} d(t ^ 2 + 2)[/tex]

Shouldn't the [tex]d(t^2 + 2)[/tex] read [tex]d(2t)[/tex] ?

HallsofIvy, I'm having trouble understanding how the following is legal using a substitution of [tex]u = t^2 + 1[/tex]:

[tex]\int\frac{(u-1)^2}{u^(^a^+^1^)}du[/tex]

Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  7. Mar 15, 2007 #6

Gib Z

Homework Helper

He never said anything was wrong with Natural logs in a solution, maybe he was pointing out that they just werent correct at all.

Dick's suggestion should go more like this.
    You have the right set up, but forgot the dt: [tex]\frac{1}{2}\int\frac{t^4}{\sqrt{t^2 + 2}}\ 2t dt[/tex]

Now We make the substitution, u=t^2 + 2, so the denominator is sqrt of u!,

the 2t dt, as you correctly wrote, is du.

t^4 is (u-2)^2.

So you get the pleasure of doing
    [tex]\frac{1}{2}\int \frac{(u-2)^2}{\sqrt{u}} du[/tex] instead :D

VietDao's suggestion is the same as dicks, but we just wrote the t^2+2 as u, didnt we :D

I don't understand halls method either..assuming he left the 1/2 outside the integral out, I understand his numerator and differential but not the denominator..I thought that should be [tex]\sqrt{u+1}[/tex]..

8. Mar 15, 2007 #7
    Why is ln wrong? If I have the following problem...

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\int\frac{\sin\theta}{cos^2\theta}\ d\theta[/tex]

my first inclination is to solve it as follows:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\ln(cos^2\theta) + C[/tex]

Fill me in.

9. Mar 15, 2007 #8

Gib Z

Homework Helper

[tex]\int \frac{1}{x} dx = \ln x[/tex]

But [tex]\int \frac{1}{x^2} =-\frac{1}{x}[/tex]

Have you seen the power rule for differentiation? Use the reverse power rule for integration, except when the power is -1, that is the only case when the reverse power rule does not work and you have to use the Natural Log function.

10. Mar 15, 2007 #9

Gib Z

Homework Helper

In fact, to see why you are so obviously wrong, try differentiating your result, you won't get your integrand, thats for sure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?