1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More vector calculus

1. Sep 19, 2009 #1

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Sketch the cone z2=x2+y2 in 3D space.

Let (x0,y0,z0)≠(0,0,0) be a point on the given cone. By expressing the fiven equation of the cone in the form f(x,y,z)=a, find a normal vector tot he cone at point (x0,y0,z0)

Find the equation of the tangent plane to the cone at point(x0,y0,z0)

Show that every plane that is a tangent to the cone passes through the origin

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\hat{n} =grad(f) \ at \ (x_0,y_0,z_0) [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I was able to do part 2 and 3.

[tex]\hat{n}= 2x_0 \hat{i} +2y_0 \hat{j} -2z_0 \hat{k}[/tex]

and then tangent plane is

2x0(x-x0)+2y0(y-y0)-2z0(z-z0)=0

so if it passes through the origin x=0,y=0 and z=0, which leaves me with

[tex]x_0 ^{2}+y_0 ^{2}-z_0 ^{2}=0[/tex]

But since (x0,y0,z0)≠(0,0,0), then doesn't this mean that it does not pass through the origin?

Also, how do I sketch a curve in 3D? Do I just randomly plug in values of (x,y,z) and plot or is there some method in doing it?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Remember, the point [itex](x_0,y_0,z_0)[/itex] lies on the cone, so [itex]z_0^2=x_0^2+y_0^2[/itex].

I would plug a few different values of [itex]z[/itex] into the equation of the cone, and sketch the resulting curve at that height (value of [itex]z[/itex]), it should become clear pretty quickly what the cone looks like.

4. Sep 19, 2009 #3

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

thanks

But I don't get how I would know what it looks like :confused:

on the yz plane z2=y2 which means y=±z. How does the curve have two straight line portions ?

EDIT: yeah this is the first time I've done these things and the person teaching this to me is a bit...hard to talk to, so I can't ask.

5. Sep 19, 2009 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, let's see...

For [itex]z=0[/itex] we have [itex]x^2+y^2=0[/itex], which is a circle of radius zero, i.e. just a point at the origin.

For [itex]z=1[/itex] we have [itex]x^2+y^2=1[/itex], which is a circle of radius 1 at height [itex]z=1[/itex].

For [itex]z=-1[/itex] we have [itex]x^2+y^2=1[/itex], which is again a circle of radius 1, this time at a height [itex]z=-1[/itex].

For [itex]z=2[/itex] we have [itex]x^2+y^2=4[/itex], which is a circle of radius 2 at height [itex]z=2[/itex].

For [itex]z=-2[/itex] we have [itex]x^2+y^2=4[/itex], which is again a circle of radius 2, this time at a height [itex]z=-2[/itex].

As you get further and further away from z=0, in either direction, the circles get larger and larger...

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/1341/cone2t.th.jpg [Broken]

You should see clearly now why there are two lines (in the shape of an X) in the yz plane.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Sep 19, 2009 #5

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

oh I see now, so the best thing to do is to try to vary one variable and see what shape is formed by the x and y ( a circle in this case with increasing radius)?

Sketching on paper is gonna be a bit odd

thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook