1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More vector help (subtraction)

1. Sep 16, 2007 #1

vector A = 7i + 4J
    vector B= -4i - 8j
    vector F = vector A - 3B

are you allowed to do this:
    Fx= Ax - 3Bx : 7-3(-4) =19
    Fy= Ay -3By : 4- 3(-8) = 28
    or is there some rule to get the 3b?

and then how do you get the direction? when i do tan^-1 (28/19) = 55.8 . but how can i tell what quadrant vector F is in? i know vector A is in quad 1. and B is in quad 3. but since i am subtracting vector B, it is really going in quad 1? so is vector F really in quad 1?
    sorry for all the questions!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2007 #2
    Get some graph paper, and draw it! Draw A, B, -3B and F. Can you see what the numbers are actually representing as geometry?

It should be obvious which quadrant things are in... if x and y are both positive, they're in the first quadrant... I'll let you fill in the conditions for the other three.
  4. Sep 16, 2007 #3

i did draw it already.
    i know A is in quad 1.
    B is in quad 3, but since i am subtracting ( i have to take the opposite vector) it would be in quad 1 as well.
    so vector F should be in quad 1 correct?
  5. Sep 16, 2007 #4
    Yes. You can also see it from the graph. Or, by noting that the defining of a vector in quadrant 1 is that both x and y components are positive. Can you generalise that definition for the other quadrants?
  6. Sep 16, 2007 #5

Homework Helper

Your components look to be correct. You can calculate each component algebraically as you have done.

Both components of F are positive, so what quadrant does that put it in?

(I just spotted your later response. Your graph seems to confirm the algebra.)
  7. Sep 16, 2007 #6

^thank you both! i just needed to make sure that you are allowed to find components like that. by multiplying the 3 with the B component. thanks!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?