1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More volume

1. Nov 19, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider two quarters of a cylinder of radius R. What is the volume of a the intersection of a two quarters of two cylinders if the quarters meet at a right angle? Two sides of the bounded region will be rectangular according to this arrangement. (see the diagram when it gets approved)

2. The attempt at a solution
    I need to do this in Cartesian coordinates so here goes

let the Z axis be straight up, the X axis out of the page an the Y axis parallel to the page.

For the cylindrical part parallel to the X axis
    [tex] V = \int_{0}^{r} dx \int_{0}^{r} \int_{0}^{\sqrt{r^2 - y^2}} dy dz [/tex]

For hte cylindrical parallel to the Y axis
    [tex] V = \int_{0}^{r} dy \int_{0}^{r} \int_{0}^{\sqrt{r^2-x^2}} dx dz [/tex]
    And the find the volume i need to subtract the above two??

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2007 #2
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  4. Nov 21, 2007 #3
    I had simular problem once, but I was given that the volume of the whole region was eight times the part volume.

[tex] V = 8 \int_{0}^{r} {(r^2-z^2)}dz [/tex]

[tex] V = 8(r^2z-(z^3/3) |r [/tex]

[tex] V = (16*r^3)/3 units. [/tex]

Hope you figure this one out.
  5. Nov 21, 2007 #4
    dont understand how you got your integrand to be r^2 -z^2?

Adn waht do you mean by 8 times part volume?
  6. Nov 21, 2007 #5
    If you "slice" horizontally at height z above the xy-plane then the slice has a side equal to

[tex] {\sqrt{(r^2-z^2)}} [/tex] and a area [tex] A(z) = r^2-z^2 [/tex]

The slice is a rectangle with equal size on all sides. (what is it called in english?)

where [tex] a = {\sqrt{r^2-z^2} [/tex] is on side of that rectangle.

But you are wondering why ? I can't really explain it but when you have circular solids you use [tex] {\sqrt(r^2-z^2)} [/tex] where r = radius of the circle.

From the figure you posted these are two "1/4-th" circles

I'm sure someone can explain it better then me here.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?