1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More wave integrals

1. Sep 3, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex] p_x = - \int\int\int \sqrt{\frac{3}{32{\pi}^2}} {sin}^3 \theta cos \phi e^{i\phi} \sqrt{\frac{1}{8a^6}} \frac{2r^4 e^{-3r/2a}}{a\sqrt{3}} dr d\theta d\phi [/tex]

We are to prove that [tex] p_x = - 2^7 \frac{a}{3^5} [/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    The constants collapse to
    [tex] \frac{1}{8a^4\pi}[/tex]

I have already combined the coefficients for spherical coordinates.

3. The attempt at a solution

With respect to r,

[tex] \int_0^{\infty} r^4 e^{-3r/2a} dr = (- \frac{2a}{3})^5 = 6. - 2^7 \frac{a^5}{3^5} [/tex]

With respect to [tex] \theta [/tex],

[tex] \int_0^{\pi} {sin}^3 \theta d\theta = \frac{4}{3} [/tex] (trust me)

With respect to [tex] \phi [/tex]

[tex] \int_0^{2\pi} cos\phi e^{i\phi} d\phi = \int_0^{2\phi} \frac{1}{2} {cos}^2 \phi + \frac{1}{2} + icos\phi sin\phi d\phi = \pi [/tex]

This gives us [tex] p_x = 2^7 \frac{a}{3^5} [/tex]

So where did my minus go?? I Don't think there's a big problem with the integration but not sure if I've made any careless mistakes.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you are claiming the r integral is negative, how can that be? The integrand is positive. If a<0 then the integral is divergent. Where are you getting these horrible integrals?
  4. Sep 4, 2008 #3
    It's from Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering. The question actually cites two wavefunctions for the position of a hydrogen electron and then asks you to find the dipole matrix element [tex]p_x[/tex] between the two. Whatever the case, I have combined the two wavefunctions and the volume element in spherical coordinates, which gives you the monstrosity above.

Well, this integral could be worse, at least the variables are separable.

I was thinking my r-integral was wrong too, but I'm not sure where.

a isn't <0 because it's the Bohr radius. Thanks for your help Dick.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?