1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More waves

1. May 4, 2005 #1
    A continuous succession of sinusoidal wave pulses are produced at one end of a very long string and travels along the length of the string.

I am given the frequency, amplitude, and wavelength.

I know: T = 1/f & lamda = v/f & w=2f*pi=vk

I have f, A, lamda, and T. I am also given x.

How long does it take the wave to travel a distance of X meters along the lenght of the sting?

How long does it take a point ont eh string to travel a distance of X meters once the wave train has reached the point and set into motion?

Can anyone help me start this problem??
    Last edited: May 4, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2005 #2
    do i need to find the velocity function for the first question or the second question? i dont understand how they are related????
  4. May 4, 2005 #3

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

another formula you should know: d=vt . Here, d is "x." You have enough to find v, so what is t?

I am assuming that the point on the string travels a total "distance" of "X" meters (as opposed to displacement).This direction of t4ravel is up and down. Think: what is the distance that a point on a string will travel in one full oscillation?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?