Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: More waves

1. May 4, 2005 #1
    A continuous succession of sinusoidal wave pulses are produced at one end of a very long string and travels along the length of the string.

I am given the frequency, amplitude, and wavelength.

I know: T = 1/f & lamda = v/f & w=2f*pi=vk

I have f, A, lamda, and T. I am also given x.

How long does it take the wave to travel a distance of X meters along the lenght of the sting?

How long does it take a point ont eh string to travel a distance of X meters once the wave train has reached the point and set into motion?

Can anyone help me start this problem??

Last edited: May 4, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2005 #2
    do i need to find the velocity function for the first question or the second question? i dont understand how they are related????

4. May 4, 2005 #3

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

another formula you should know: d=vt . Here, d is "x." You have enough to find v, so what is t?

I am assuming that the point on the string travels a total "distance" of "X" meters (as opposed to displacement).This direction of t4ravel is up and down. Think: what is the distance that a point on a string will travel in one full oscillation?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook