Solve Morera's Theorem Problem: Find Series Expansion

• Thread starter Tsunoyukami
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary: Not sure where to go from here!In summary, the author is asking for help in understanding a problem involving the integration of a function and Morera's Theorem. They state that the problem is asking for the writer to write out the power series for a function that is analytic on a domain and to interchange the summation and integration. They also state that if their interpretation is correct, then the first step is to write the function in terms of z rather than zt and to apply Morera's Theorem. They provide an interpretation of the problem but are unsure of how to complete it. If the reader is able to complete the first step, they are then asked to write out the power series for the function and to interchange the
Tsunoyukami
I'm having difficulty understanding this question - and if I am interpreting it correctly, how to go about doing so.

First, we will need the following theorem:

"Morera's Theorem If ##f## is a continuous function on a domain ##D## and if
$$\int_{\gamma} f(z) dz = 0$$
for every triangle ##\gamma## that lies, together with its interior, in ##D##, then ##f## is analytic on ##D##." (Complex Variables, 2nd. edition; Stephen D. Fisher, pg. 129)"24. Use Morera's Theorem and an interchange of the order of integration to show that each of the following functions is analytic on the indicated domain; find a power-series expansion for each function by using the known power series for the integrand and interchanging the summation and integration.

a) ##\int_{0}^{1} \frac{dt}{1 -tz}## on ##|z| < 1##" (Complex Variables, 2nd. edition; Stephen D. Fisher, pg. 134)I have not attempted this problem because I am unsure of what exactly it is asking me to do. Here is my interpretation:

1) Write the integral with respect to z (be sure to change the bounds of the integral as well) as opposed to z.
2) Apply Morera's Theorem to show that the function is analytic.
3) Use the "known power series for the integrand" to write out a power series...as in basically copy out the known power series?I'm just not really sure what to do or how to go about doing so. If my above interpretation is correct how do I complete the first step? Do I simply write:

##\int_{0}^{1} \frac{dt}{1 -tz}## on ##|z| < 1##
##\int_{0}^{2\pi} \frac{dz}{1-tz}## on ##0 \leq t \ leq 1##

I feel like that is almost blatantly incorrect...

Any guidance is very much appreciated - thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, first, you are right that this is "blatantly incorrect". t going from 0 to 1 has nothing to do with z going from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex]. They are independent variables.

The problem says "find a power-series expansion for each function by using the known power series for the integrand and interchanging the summation and integration". Have you written out the "known power series for the integrand"? It is assuming that you know the sum for a geometric series:
[tex]\sum r^n= \frac{1}{1- r}[/tex].

Tsunoyukami said:
I'm having difficulty understanding this question - and if I am interpreting it correctly, how to go about doing so.

First, we will need the following theorem:

"Morera's Theorem If ##f## is a continuous function on a domain ##D## and if
$$\int_{\gamma} f(z) dz = 0$$
for every triangle ##\gamma## that lies, together with its interior, in ##D##, then ##f## is analytic on ##D##." (Complex Variables, 2nd. edition; Stephen D. Fisher, pg. 129)

"24. Use Morera's Theorem and an interchange of the order of integration to show that each of the following functions is analytic on the indicated domain; find a power-series expansion for each function by using the known power series for the integrand and interchanging the summation and integration.

a) ##\int_{0}^{1} \frac{dt}{1 -tz}## on ##|z| < 1##" (Complex Variables, 2nd. edition; Stephen D. Fisher, pg. 134)

I have not attempted this problem because I am unsure of what exactly it is asking me to do. Here is my interpretation:

1) Write the integral with respect to z (be sure to change the bounds of the integral as well) as opposed to z.
2) Apply Morera's Theorem to show that the function is analytic.
3) Use the "known power series for the integrand" to write out a power series...as in basically copy out the known power series?

I'm just not really sure what to do or how to go about doing so. If my above interpretation is correct how do I complete the first step? Do I simply write:

##\int_{0}^{1} \frac{dt}{1 -tz}## on ##|z| < 1##
##\int_{0}^{2\pi} \frac{dz}{1-tz}## on ##0 \leq t \ leq 1##

I feel like that is almost blatantly incorrect...

Any guidance is very much appreciated - thanks!

Presumably, the question wants you to show that
[tex] \int_{\gamma} \int_{t=0}^1 \frac{dt}{1-zt} \:dz =
\int_{t=0}^1 \int_{\gamma} \frac{dz}{1-tz} \; dt[/tex]
for any triangle ##\gamma## in ##|z| < 1##, and to use Morers's Theorem to derive some analyticity properties of the original integral.

HallsofIvy said:
Have you written out the "known power series for the integrand"? It is assuming that you know the sum for a geometric series:
[tex]\sum r^n= \frac{1}{1- r}[/tex].

So I can set my function such that r = zt? Then:

$$\frac{1}{1 - r} = \sum r^{n}$$
$$\frac{1}{1 - zt} = \sum (zt)^{n}$$

Not too sure where to go from here...or if what I've done is even valid. Should I then write

$$\sum (zt)^{n} = \sum t^{n}z^{n} = \sum t^{n} (z - 0)^{n}$$

Which means I have a power series centered at 0 and the coefficient of the nth term is ##a_{n} = t^{n}##?

But then how does the integral from 0 to 1 come into play? Is this important because this series is convergent only in a disc of radius 1? In that case I would end of with an integral over ##\gamma## of a power series - or am I missing something?

Sorry, I just feel rather confused by this problem.

Additionally, I'm not sure I understand Morera's Theorem. Is it essentially the "opposite" of Cauchy's Theorem? Cauchy's Theorem states that for any analytic function on D the path integral of a piecewise smooth simple closed curve in D whose inside lies in D is equal to 0. Morera's Theorem states that if the path integral for every triangle (and its interior) in D is equal to 0, then the function is analytic.

I guess what's bugging me is...why is this true only if the closed curve is a triangle? I mean, it holds true for every triangle in D - so why not take a union of a bunch of triangles contained within D to form other non-triangle shapes? I would have expected Morera's Theorem to apply to any piecewise smooth simple closed curve...

Ray Vickson said:
Presumably, the question wants you to show that
[tex] \int_{\gamma} \int_{t=0}^1 \frac{dt}{1-zt} \:dz =
\int_{t=0}^1 \int_{\gamma} \frac{dz}{1-tz} \; dt[/tex]
for any triangle ##\gamma## in ##|z| < 1##, and to use Morers's Theorem to derive some analyticity properties of the original integral.

I asked the professor about the question and this is the correct interpretation. However, I'm still not really sure how to go about doing this.

In order to show that the function is analytic in |z| < 1 I need to use Morera's Theorem, which states that I must show ##\int_{\gamma} f(z) = 0## for every triangle in |z| < 1.

My next question is what is ##f(z)##? Does ##f(z) = \frac{1}{1 - tz}## or does ##f(z) = \int_{0}^{1} \frac{1}{1 - tz} dt##?

I don't really see how the integral with respect to ##\gamma## is easier...the only way I can think of to make it easier is to use properties of analytic functions (which I can't do because I'm trying to prove that the function is analytic!)

I apologize for triple posting now (really...I'm sorry), but for the sake of completeness, I will continue with this problem as I believe I have made some progress.

First, let ##f(z) = \int_{0}^{1} \frac{dt}{1 - tz}## on ##|z| < 1##. We want to compute the line integral over ##f(z)## and we can do this by writing the following:

$$\int_{\gamma} \left[ \int_{0}^{1} \frac{dt}{1 - tz} \right] dz = \int_{0}^{1} \left[ \int_{\gamma} \frac{dz}{1 - tz} \right] dt$$

In this formulation we integrate over ##\gamma## first with respect to ##z## while considering ##t## constant. We call this 'inner' function ##g(z) = \frac{1}{1 -tz}## and note that this function ##g(z)## is analytic on the disc ##|z| < 1##. Therefore, for any closed curve ##\gamma##, ##\int_{\gamma} g(z) dz = 0## by Cauchy's Theorem. Then:

$$\int_{\gamma} \left[ \int_{0}^{1} \frac{dt}{1 - tz} \right] dz = \int_{0}^{1} \left[ \int_{\gamma} \frac{dz}{1 - tz} \right] dt = \int_{0}^{1} 0 dt = c$$

A constant function is analytic (and in fact, is entire).

That being said, I'm not sure if there is more I should do before proceeding to the second portion of the question or if this is sufficient. Any thoughts?

1. What is Morera's Theorem?

Morera's Theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that if a function is continuous on a closed and bounded region and the integral of the function over any triangle in that region is zero, then the function is holomorphic on that region.

2. What is a series expansion?

A series expansion is a mathematical technique used to write a function as an infinite sum of simpler functions. It is often used to approximate the value of a function or to find a simpler representation of a function.

3. How do you solve Morera's Theorem problem?

To solve a Morera's Theorem problem, you first need to determine if the function is continuous on a closed and bounded region. Then, you need to show that the integral of the function over any triangle in that region is equal to zero. If both conditions are met, then the function is holomorphic on that region and Morera's Theorem is satisfied.

4. Why is Morera's Theorem important?

Morera's Theorem is important because it provides a necessary and sufficient condition for a function to be holomorphic. This allows us to determine if a function has a complex derivative and can be used to prove other theorems in complex analysis.

5. Are there any applications of Morera's Theorem?

Yes, Morera's Theorem has various applications in complex analysis and other fields of mathematics. It is used to prove the Cauchy's Integral Theorem, which is an important result in complex analysis. It is also used in the study of potential theory and in the proof of the Riemann Mapping Theorem.