Moronic TV shows. Please stop

• Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
In summary, "Auction Hunters" is a television show about two men who buy the contents of storage units and try to make a profit by selling the items. In some episodes, they find valuable items such as a Japanese sword and shotguns, but their methods and claims are often unrealistic and ignorant. The show is part of a trend of poorly made and unoriginal shows on channels like TLC and Discovery. Some people find it entertaining, but others find it ridiculous and a waste of time. The conversation also touches on other shows like "Pawn Stars" and "Storage Wars" and the frustrations of limited TV options.
lisab said:
I have an 18-year-old daughter who lives most of the time at college now. When she was a younger kid, there was a TV in the house but she almost never watched. She just wasn't interested - had other hobbies, like piano or reading. When she became a teenager, sometimes she'd watch C-SPAN (seriously).

So she never really missed TV, but I admit any teen who watches C-SPAN for fun is not typical.

I have 4 kids - oldest is 21, youngest 12. I've tried on several occassions to exorcise our house of the Tee Vee, but alas, unsuccessfully, particularly as the wife like to watch one or two of those dreaded mind numbing shows as well.

Still, they turned out (and are turning out) great. But I do lament the wasted hours of ones life in front of the idiot box. I'm often heard running around the house yelling "get your face out of that stupid screen" ..

Physics news on Phys.org
We still have TV, though I rarely watch any made-for-TV shows. My wife tuned in Runaway Jury earlier and it's running now. Good movie.

Pythagorean said:
SyFy sucks now too... "Ghost Hunters"

That isn't science fiction? I can hardly think of a better example! :biggrin:

While I do object to the pseudoscience in the Ghost Hunters show, I actually like the fact they are at least trying to document claims. And they don't claim to be scientists. They claim to be plumbers doing the best they can to address a subject that science wont.

Scientists always object to such claims by saying, "where's the evidence?". So a group attempts to get evidence, and everyone complains about it. How is this not hypocritical?

Ivan Seeking said:
That isn't science fiction? I can hardly think of a better example! :biggrin:
My thoughts, too. At least it's not running on the History Channel.

Ivan Seeking said:
While I do object to the pseudoscience in the Ghost Hunters show, I actually like the fact they are at least trying to document claims. And they don't claim to be scientists. They claim to be plumbers doing the best they can to address a subject that science wont.

Scientists always object to such claims by saying, "where's the evidence?". So a group attempts to get evidence, and everyone complains about it. How is this not hypocritical?

Simple, they don't attempt to use a methodology which investigates claims, rather they attempt to put on a show when the wind blows. Far from helping this possible cause of paranormal investigation, it's a mockery of it, a disservice, and misleading about just what is scientific and evidenciary.

nismaratwork said:
Simple, they don't attempt to use a methodology which investigates claims, rather they attempt to put on a show when the wind blows. Far from helping this possible cause of paranormal investigation, it's a mockery of it, a disservice, and misleading about just what is scientific and evidenciary.

I would call extensive full-spectrum imaging and audio a legitimate form of investigation. They do have tons of equipment now. And they do actually debunk many reports. I've seen them identify a few rather pexplexing illusions.

Ivan Seeking said:
I would call extensive full-spectrum imaging and audio a legitimate form of investigation. They do have tons of equipment now. And they do actually debunk many reports. I've seen them identify a few rather pexplexing illusions.

I've seen them lose bowel control around creaky floorbords, and endless natter about the "EM FIELD" and "cold spots". I'm as impressed by them as I am by a parakeet that asks for seeds. A lack of serious investigation is not an excuse for shoddy work in the service of ratings.

nismaratwork said:
I've seen them lose bowel control around creaky floorbords, and endless natter about the "EM FIELD" and "cold spots". I'm as impressed by them as I am by a parakeet that asks for seeds. A lack of serious investigation is not an excuse for shoddy work in the service of ratings.

All true. And on occasion a new helper will freak out. As I said, they are plumbers doing their best to address claims that science won't. If the are not matching the standards for science, one can hardly blame them or claim ill intentions. If a scientist thinks they need to change something, then I say join the group. At least they are making the effort. And to say they are completely bias in the presentation is simply untrue. They do explain many claims. They know all about creaky floorboards. That is not a reasonable objection.

Also, they are invited to do these investigations.

I am only talking about the Ghost Hunters here. There are other groups and shows that are another story completely.

Ivan Seeking said:
All true. And on occasion a new helper will freak out. As I said, they are plumbers doing their best to address claims that science won't. If the are not matching the standards for science, one can hardly blame them or claim ill intentions. If a scientist thinks they need to change something, then I say join the group. At least they are making the effort. And to say they are completely bias in the presentation is simply untrue. They do explain many claims. They know all about creaky floorboards. That is not a reasonable objection.

Also, they are invited to do these investigations.

I am only talking about the Ghost Hunters here. There are other groups and shows that are another story completely.

Ahhhhh... I thought we were talking about the whole coterie of ghost hunter shows...

I'm not qualified (not viewed it through) to judge that one show.

One thing I would say generally: science DOES investigate this, a lot... it's just something that is either beyond current science to reasonably confirm or deny, and has been for so long it's become fringe. That could be a faillure of science, or it could be a failure of the phenomenon; more so as alternative explanations emerge.

Then you have things like ball lightning, which we'd LOVE to explore, but can't because the damned thing is so evasive.