1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Morphing Triangle Problem

1. Oct 15, 2007 #1
    1. Two boats start out 800 miles apart with boat A directly to the west of boat B. At the same time both boats start moving with boat A travelling to the east at 40mph while boat B travels north at 20mph. Determine if the distance between the boats is increasing, decreasing, or not changing after the following travel times: (a) 7 hours (b) 16 hours (c) 25 hours

2. I attempted to break apart their distances travelled by using component vector analysis. The distance between the two boats is the hypotenuse of whatever triangle they produce on the graph at a certain time. We want to find d'.

3. d'=? I park boat A at origin, therefore its cartesian coordinates are (0, 0), so boat B must be at (0, 800)

For part (a) I use vector components: A in x-direction: 400(7)=280 x-direction
    So A is at (280, 0) since it does change in relation to y-axis (vice-versa for B)
    B in y-direction: 20(7)=140 so B is (800, 140)
    Base distance is 800-280=520 Height is just 140
    I got the distance between them by using the distance formula: d=square root(520^2 + 140^2)= 538.516miles

How do I proceed to find h' ?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted