Morse Code Project: Building Circuit for 7 Segment Display

In summary, the conversation is about a Morse Code project that involves building a circuit to display Morse codes using a 7 segment display. The person is currently stuck at the first stage and is unsure of which chips to use from the available options. They have a 555 timer and a push button installed on their breadboard. They are required to display short signals through one LED and long signals through another LED, but are unsure of how to split the signals. The person's teacher advised them to focus on outputting only the short signals first and then think about the long signals. They have thought of using a 3-to-8 multiplexer with 2 inputs (DIP switch and RESET button) and using a NAND or AND gate to
galaxy_twirl

Homework Statement

Hi everyone. I am currently embarking on a Morse Code project which involves building a circuit to display Morse codes, eventually displaying the Morse code with a 7 segment display.
xp0zgj.jpg

I am currently stuck at the first stage as I am not sure of what to do, i.e. what chips to use. My lab has a lot of chips in the rack, which made me totally spoilt for choice.

Currently, I have a 555 timer and a push button (related to the RESET button above) installed on my breadboard. The button is working perfectly fine as of now.

I am required to display the short signals via one LED and the long signal via another LED, but I don't know how to split the signals currently.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My teacher advised me to output only the short signals first before thinking of putting out the long signal (on the other LED).

I have tried to think of a way to implement the system and I think, we need to use a multiplexer, since this involves multiple inputs: 1. RESET button and 2. the 4-bit DIP switch which is a way to set the desired numbers you want to translate to Morse code. However, I don't know which type of multiplexer to use.

I have thought of using a 3-to-8 multiplexer (Use 2 inputs only, one from DIP switch and the other from RESET button). Since I only need 2 outputs, one to LED representing short signal, the other to another LED representing long signal, I will use a NAND or AND gate to reduce the 8 outputs to 4 and eventually to 2.

May I know if this will work? If not, can anyone give me advice on how to design this system?

Thank you! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you want to do? Push a button in a morse code pattern and get the result displayed?
Then you'll first have to define how "pushing the button" is interpreted. For example, what happens if you push it for one second? Is that a long signal, a short signal, something else, ...?
How do you distinguish between "pause between bits" and "pause after a letter"?

Your timer will be useful to record how long the button has been pushed, or not pushed, but you'll need some way to convert that to a logical input for the remaining circuit.

galaxy_twirl said:
I have thought of using a 3-to-8 multiplexer (Use 2 inputs only, one from DIP switch and the other from RESET button). Since I only need 2 outputs, one to LED representing short signal, the other to another LED representing long signal, I will use a NAND or AND gate to reduce the 8 outputs to 4 and eventually to 2.
Does that follow some deeper logic? I don't think you can just connect your inputs to a multiplexer and expect some useful result.

Hi mfb. I shall respond to your questions here:

mfb said:
What do you want to do? Push a button in a morse code pattern and get the result displayed?

Yes. I will have to push the button which is already present in the circuit in order for the circuit to output a reading, and hence, display the result.

mfb said:
Then you'll first have to define how "pushing the button" is interpreted. For example, what happens if you push it for one second? Is that a long signal, a short signal, something else, ...?

The pushbutton is just a switch, I believe. The DIP switch will continuously give an output to my chip. When I press the pushbutton, the result will "flow out" of the chip to give a display in the form of LEDs. (one for long signal, one for short signal, i.e. the flashes will be consistent in intervals.) I suppose I will push the button once and let it go. Perhaps for simplicity, I shall assume I push the button for 1 second.

mfb said:
How do you distinguish between "pause between bits" and "pause after a letter"?

This is the part where I am stuck I think... For now, I am told to build the system with just the short bursts, i.e. for 1 --> 1 short burst, 2-->2 short bursts, etc.May I have your advice on this?

General:

I think I may have said MUX wrongly-- I should be using a demultiplexer, as I would need less inputs and more outputs.

Thank you. :)

mfb said:
Does that follow some deeper logic? I don't think you can just connect your inputs to a multiplexer and expect some useful result.

I am not sure about the deeper logic as of now. >< But I believe there is a deeper logic as this project doesn't look simple to me. :(

Okay I don't understand your setup.

How do you enter "..-", for example? How do you enter "..--" or "..-."?

mfb said:
Okay I don't understand your setup.

How do you enter "..-", for example? How do you enter "..--" or "..-."?

I see. Sorry for being unclear in my explanation and description above.

For example, if I want to output a "2" (in DEC notation), I will push the 4-bit DIP switch to 0010. The DIP switch will output its signal to the chip.

Do you need me to show you a picture or the circuit diagram of my 4-bit DIP switch? :)

How is 0010 related to ..---?

Edit: Wait, your input is the number in binary, and you want to display it on a 7-segment display (as "..---" in some way) together with LEDs producing the morse code as time sequence?

Oh. No. I am doing D1A of the project as of now, which requires me to "read input from 4-bit DIP switch, RESET button (which is the push button I have now) and design the circuit." You may refer to the picture for more information above. :)

Yes, my input is binary. The 7-segment display comes much later in the project (the last stage).

mfb said:
How is 0010 related to ..---?

I think I have to somehow find a way to split the signals. :( I'm not very sure about this.

I will have 2 LED bulbs in the system, one to represent short signals, and another for long signals. Hence, for "2" (as an example), I will have 2 blinks for LEDshort signal, 3 blinks for LEDlong signal.

Okay. So I think you'll need two things: one that gives 5 impulses and one that determines which LED to use in each case. Which also means you need some way to know "this now is the second pulse" - a counter?

mfb said:
Okay. So I think you'll need two things: one that gives 5 impulses and one that determines which LED to use in each case. Which also means you need some way to know "this now is the second pulse" - a counter?

I see. I have a 555 clock built into my breadboard.

Hmm.. A counter. My friend mentioned about using a counter too because he said something about, when the chip counts down, e.g. if I put my DIP switch to 0100 (which is '4' in DEC), it will blink 4 times for the short signal. I think I can use a 74'191 chip which has a D/U(BAR) port for counting. :) I think the pulsing part is okay for now (assuming the counter counts in the fashion: "4"[HIGH], [LOW], "3"[HIGH], [LOW], "2"[HIGH], [LOW], "1"[HIGH], [LOW], "0"[HIGH], [LOW]. The HIGH and LOW represents pulsing of the LED.

Is it possible if I were to use a MUX or demultiplexer (a chip where I can put in 3 inputs, from button, from the DIP switch and another input to decide which LED to output the signals to) to do the switching between the outputs?

Thank you for your help once again. :)

galaxy_twirl said:
Is it possible if I were to use a MUX or demultiplexer (a chip where I can put in 3 inputs, from button, from the DIP switch and another input to decide which LED to output the signals to) to do the switching between the outputs?
I don't understand what you want to put where here.

What is Morse Code?

Morse code is a method of communication that uses a series of dots and dashes to represent letters, numbers, and symbols. It was developed in the 1830s by Samuel Morse and has been used for long-distance communication since the mid-19th century.

What is the purpose of the "Morse Code Project: Building Circuit for 7 Segment Display"?

The purpose of this project is to build a circuit using a 7 segment display that can display Morse code messages. This allows for a visual representation of Morse code, making it easier to learn and practice the code.

What materials are needed for this project?

The materials needed for this project include a 7 segment display, a microcontroller (such as an Arduino), resistors, jumper wires, a breadboard, and a power source. You may also need a soldering iron and solder if you choose to solder your circuit together.

What is the process for building the circuit?

The first step is to gather all of the materials needed for the project. Then, follow the circuit diagram provided, making sure to connect the components correctly. Next, upload the Morse code program to the microcontroller. Finally, test the circuit by sending Morse code messages through the microcontroller.

What can I learn from this project?

By completing this project, you can learn about basic circuit building, how to program a microcontroller, and how Morse code works. It also allows you to practice your soldering skills and experiment with different ways to display Morse code messages using a 7 segment display.