Morse function on a sphere

In summary: However, I am not sure how to go about finding the extra critical points in a Morse function on a surface of genus g.
pp31
Suppose a Morse function [tex]f:S^n\rightarrow R[/tex] satisfies f(x) = f(-x). Show that f must have atleast 2 critical points of index j for all j = 0,...,n.

Show that any MOrse function on a compact set of genus g has at least 2g+2 critical points.

These are the questions and I have no idea how to get started. If some one could just push me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
pp31 said:
Suppose a Morse function [tex]f:S^n\rightarrow R[/tex] satisfies f(x) = f(-x). Show that f must have atleast 2 critical points of index j for all j = 0,...,n.

Show that any MOrse function on a compact set of genus g has at least 2g+2 critical points.

These are the questions and I have no idea how to get started. If some one could just push me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

if f(x) = f(-x) for all x then if f'(x) = 0 so is f'(-x).

Further, f projects to a function on projective space. Find a CW complex decomposition of projective space.

Last edited:
So what you are saying is that not only can we find the CW complex structure of a space from a Morse function but we can use the CW structure to determine the critical points and the index of a Morse function.

Correct me if I am wrong

pp31 said:
So what you are saying is that not only can we find the CW complex structure of a space from a Morse function but we can use the CW structure to determine the critical points and the index of a Morse function.

Correct me if I am wrong

I am no expert on this. But yes. I think that is one of the results of Morse theory.

At each non-degenerate critical point a cell gets attached. So the manifold has the homotopy type of a CW complex with a k dimensional cell attached for each critical point of index k.

I would be glad to read through this with you in Milnor's Morse theory. I need to learn it.

However I think there are different decomposition of a sphere as a CW complex for instance one way is attaching a 0 cell and a n cell and the other one is 2 0 cells,..., 2 n cells. So we have different morse funcitions based on two different decompositions so I think we have to be careful when we use the cell structure to determine the morse function

pp31 said:
However I think there are different decomposition of a sphere as a CW complex for instance one way is attaching a 0 cell and a n cell and the other one is 2 0 cells,..., 2 n cells. So we have different morse funcitions based on two different decompositions so I think we have to be careful when we use the cell structure to determine the morse function

you are probably right. The thing is though that projective space has non-zero homology in every dimension so your probably OK no matter how you do it. ( the sphere only has homology in dimension zero and n).

But let's work on decompositions and compare notes.

I think we could use the fact that the boundary operators vanish when we construct the chain complex of the projective plane over Z2 which in turn implies that Hn(RP[tex]^{n}[/tex];Z2 ) =Z2 to show that we need atleast one critical point of each index and since f(x) = f(-x) we have at least two critical points of each index.
I am not sure if this works or not but just let me know what you think.

And do you have any idea of how to get started on the other question.

Last edited:
pp31 said:
I think we could use the fact that the boundary operators vanish when we construct the chain complex of the projective plane over Z2 which in turn implies that Hn(RP[tex]^{n}[/tex];Z2 ) =Z2 to show that we need atleast one critical point of each index and since f(x) = f(-x) we have at least two critical points of each index.
I am not sure if this works or not but just let me know what you think.

And do you have any idea of how to get started on the other question.

I guess you mean a surface of genus g. The alternating sum of the number of cells in each dimension is the Euler characteristic of a CW complex.

Last edited:
The projective plane must have at least one zero cell, one 1 cell, and one 2 cell. So a Morse function on the 2 sphere would seems to have to have at least 2 critical points in each domension sonce the sphere is a 2 fold cover of the projective plane. The projection map would cut the number of cells in half.

I guess this type of argument works for a projective space of any dimension.

lavinia said:
The projective plane must have at least one zero cell, one 1 cell, and one 2 cell. So a Morse function on the 2 sphere would seems to have to have at least 2 critical points in each domension sonce the sphere is a 2 fold cover of the projective plane. The projection map would cut the number of cells in half.

I guess this type of argument works for a projective space of any dimension.

THanks a lot for the help

1. What is a Morse function on a sphere?

A Morse function on a sphere is a continuous function that maps a sphere onto a real line and has only non-degenerate critical points. In other words, it is a smooth function that has a unique value at each point on the sphere and has no flat or degenerate points.

2. What is the significance of a Morse function on a sphere?

Morse functions on a sphere are important in topology and differential geometry because they provide a way to study the structure of a sphere and its critical points. They also have applications in physics, particularly in the study of dynamical systems and shape analysis.

3. How is a Morse function on a sphere different from a regular function?

Morse functions on a sphere have the additional property of being non-degenerate at all of their critical points. This means that the derivative of the function is non-zero at each critical point, and the function has a unique minimum or maximum at each critical point on the sphere.

4. What is the Morse index of a critical point on a sphere?

The Morse index of a critical point on a sphere is a measure of its stability and is given by the number of negative eigenvalues of the Hessian matrix at that point. A critical point with a Morse index of 0 is a non-degenerate minimum, while a critical point with a Morse index of n is a non-degenerate maximum on an n-dimensional sphere.

5. Are there other types of Morse functions besides those on a sphere?

Yes, there are Morse functions defined on other surfaces and manifolds, including Euclidean spaces, tori, and more complex surfaces. However, the study of Morse functions on a sphere is particularly useful because of the simple structure of the sphere and its connections to other areas of mathematics and science.