1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MOS Amplifier Design

1. Dec 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to design a MOS voltage amplifier with a gain of 50.

2. Relevant equations
    tox = 5 nm
    u = 500 cm2/V-s
    Cox = 6.903 mF/m
    λ = 0.1
    Vdd = 2.5V

3. The attempt at a solution

I am getting confused on just about everything...

I am to design a voltage amplifier with a gain of 50 V/V that is connected between a 100k source and a 2k load. We can use more than one stage so I was going to use one common-source with a gain of 10, second stage is a common-source with gain of 5 and the last was gonna be a source follower with a gain of 1.

I started out by picking a Vgs of 0.7 and a Vdsat of 0.2...don't know why it was just kinda arbitrary I guess.

I calculated my Id based off this equation Id = 1/2 * Cox * u * (W/L) * Vdsat2
    I varied my W while keeping L constant. From my Id I was able to calculate my gm by using the equation 2*Id / Vdsat.

I know the equation for the gain of a common source amplifier is [itex]\frac{Rg}{Rg + Rsig}[/itex]*[itex]\frac{Rd}{1/gm + Rs}[/itex] so I made my Rs 100 times larger than 1/gm and made my Rd 11 * (1/gm + Rs).

However when I enter the Rs and Rd values in LTSpice I am getting a drain current which is over 5 orders of magnitude away and its just really frustrating.

Please someone help! This thing is due in like 5 days and I've spent like 15 hours working on this and I can't even design a basic common-source amplifier. If you can provide links or write down some steps to follow in a design procedure that'd be great.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted