MOS Capacitor: calculated oxide thickness greater than real

In summary: Overall, further investigation into the measurement method and potential sources of error is needed to fully understand the cause of the discrepancy. In summary, the discrepancy between the calculated and real oxide thickness in your MOS capacitors is most likely due to inaccuracies in the capacitance measurements, potentially caused by impurities, non-uniformities, or model limitations. Further investigation is needed to determine the specific cause.
iria
Hello,

I have developed MOS capacities, and I have performed CV measurements over them. In the accumulation region the capacity was: 3,04237•E-10 F and the area of the capacitors is 1,7mm. With that I get that the oxide thickness is 328nm When I know that the real oxide thickness is only 200nm. What can cause that?? I cannot understand. I can understand to get less oxide than real, but ... more??

I haven't found any information about this, and I'm sure that the measurements are correct, because they showed the same values through the different MOS that I measured (8 in total).

I hope someone has any idea. I'm desesperated!

Thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
The most likely explanation for the discrepancy between your calculated oxide thickness and the real one is that your capacitance measurements were not accurate. This could be due to a number of factors, such as impurities or defects in the oxide layer, non-uniformities in the oxide layer, or other physical processes that can alter the capacitance of the device. Additionally, if you are using a model to calculate the oxide thickness, the model may not accurately reflect the physical structure of the device, which could contribute to the discrepancy. It is also possible that there is an error in the measurement of the area of the capacitor, as this will also affect the calculated oxide thickness.

1. What is a MOS capacitor?

A MOS (Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor) capacitor is a type of capacitor used in electronic devices. It is composed of a metal electrode, an oxide layer, and a semiconductor material.

2. How is the oxide thickness in a MOS capacitor calculated?

The oxide thickness in a MOS capacitor is typically calculated using the capacitance equation, which takes into account the area of the capacitor, the dielectric constant of the oxide material, and the voltage applied to the capacitor.

3. Why would the calculated oxide thickness be greater than the actual thickness?

This could be due to factors such as measurement errors, variations in the dielectric constant of the oxide material, or the presence of impurities or defects in the oxide layer.

4. How does a greater oxide thickness affect the performance of a MOS capacitor?

A greater oxide thickness can lead to a decrease in the capacitance and an increase in the voltage required to operate the capacitor. This can affect the overall performance of the device and may require adjustments in circuit design.

5. How can the issue of a greater calculated oxide thickness be addressed in the design of a MOS capacitor?

One approach is to use a different oxide material with a more consistent dielectric constant. Another solution could be to incorporate a compensation factor in the capacitance equation to account for any measurement errors.