1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MOS Cascode Amp: Find the early voltage and channel length

1. Sep 3, 2012 #1
    Problem: In a MOS cascade amplifier, the cascade transistor is required to raise the output resistance by a factor of 40. If the transistor is operated at VOV = 0.2 V, what must its VA be? If the process technology specifies V'A = 5 V/μm, what channel length must the transistor have?

Given:
    VOV = 0.2 V, VA = ?
    V'A = 5 V/μm, L = ?

Known:
    ro = VA/IDS = (V'A*L)/(IDS)
    ==> L = (ro*IDS)/(V'A)
    ==> V'A = IDS*ro

gm = (2*IDS)/(VOV) where IDS = (1/2)*μn*Cox*(W/L)*VOV2

My Approach:
    From the known equations, I have derived the equations needed to obtain VA and L. The unknown variables needed are:
    IDS, then gm, then ro, which all then give me the values for VA and L with the derived equations.

However, I just realized that in order to obtain IDS with the equation above, I would need μn*Cox*(W/L), which in this case seems unobtainable. Could someone please help me? I'm doing something wrong but I just can't seem to figure it out.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted