Exploring Moseley's Law & Electron Screening

In summary: The summary of the conversation is: In summary, the conversation discusses Moseley's law for Ka radiation and its expression in terms of x-ray frequency and atomic number. It also checks the agreement of the original 1914 data with Moseley's law and considers the screened charge seen by the L shell electron. The conversation also mentions the complexity of the calculation of the screened nuclear charge and suggests looking into Slater's Rules for more information.
big man
Ok I've had this problem with this last part of this one question.

Show that Moseley's Law for Ka radiation may be expressed as sqrt(f)=[sqrt((3/4)*(13.6/h))]*(Z-1) where f is the x-ray frequency and z is the atomic number. (b) Check the agreement of the original 1914 data shown in Figure 9.18 with Moseley's law. Do this by comparing the least-squares slope and intercept of the Ka line in Figure 9.18 to the theoretical slope and intercept predicted by Moseley's law. (c) Is the screened charge seen by the L shell electron equal to Z-1?

Now the first two parts were really easy, but I'm not so sure on the last part. The book does say that an electron in the L shell will be partially screened by the one remaining K shell electron and so it 'sees' a nuclear charge of only Z-1. I mean this fact was needed to do the first part of the question, and I kind of understand that since there is one electron in the K shell when a vacancy is left behind that the atomic number would appear to be Z-1. But does this mean that if the K shell is filled the the screened charge seen by the L shell electron is equal to Z-2?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'd just like to understand this concept.

Physics news on Phys.org
What text did this question appear in ? I'd be very disappointed to see something like this in a physics textbook.

What is shown in fig. 9.18 - only K-lines or does it also include L-lines and so on ?

Moseley's law is NOT theoretical - it is empirical. Moseley found that the square root plots looked pretty darn straight and fit a straight line to them. Even within the Bohr formulation, if you do a careful calculation, you WILL NOT end up with Moseley's Law (at least, I did not), but a more general quadratic form for f.

For part (a), when you did the calculation of the energy difference that gives rise to the K-alpha line, you unconsciously assumed that the L-shell electron (n=2, initial state) and the K-shell electron (n=1, final state) see the same screened nuclear charge Z' = Z-1. Right ? (Ignoring for now, that trouble with understanding the screened nuclear charge seen by the K-electron) If this gave you the correct answer, then the answer to (c) must be "Yes", since this is the assumption you made in (a).

However, as you point out, the above assumption was made in the context that the L-shell had a missing electron. If the L-shell does have both electrons, will the screening change ?

The answer is "yes". But will it become Z-2 ? Most probably not. The screened charge is actually a quite complicated number to calculate, and is not given simply by the value of Z minus the number of inner electrons.

What appears, in my opinion, to be hidden behind every introductory discussion of Mosely's law is a LOT of stuff that has been conveniently swept under the rug. Moseley's Law is just an approximation to empirical data that seems to work reasonably well for the K-lines. Trying to use the Bohr model to explain an empirical relationship for large multielectron atoms is a bad idea. This is way beyond the scope of the Bohr model.

The Moseley screening constant for the L-lines is about 7.4. How would you explain that number from the Bohr model ?

As for the question (c) you have to answer, I'm not sure what the best approach is. The answer depends on the context. If it is in the context of a K-alpha line, then it might be wise to answer "yes". If the plot also shows L-lines, then the question might be in the context of one of these. In that case, the answer would be "no".

That the answer to an objective question much change based on some context is really an insult to the objectivity of the physical sciences. But that's what happens when the science is used incorrectly. :frown:

The question appeared in Modern Physics (third edition) by Serway, Moses and Moyer.

The diagram does actually include the L lines as well, but I'd assume that part c is really referring to the Ka line...but now I'm not so sure. By the way the paragraph in the book was worded (below) I would have assumed that the question referred to the Ka line.

This is the assumption that had to be made to do part a (exactly from the text)

For the Ka line, the K shell vacancy is filled by an electron from the L shell (n=2). But an electron in the L shell is partially screened from the nucleus by the one remaining K shell electron and so sees a nuclear charge of only Z-1.

Serway is usually pretty good about not misrepresenting stuff. I'll take a look at it later today (don't have a copy nearby right now).

The screened charge seen by the L shell electron is effectively equal to Z-1, however the relationship becomes slightly less than (Z-1) starting around Yttrium.

For the L lines, the M electrons would be 'shielded' by 2 K electrons and 7 L electrons, but in reality the effective charge is (Z-7.4).

One has to look at the atom in terms of quantum mechanics to understand why.

Thanks for taking the time to help me with this Gokul and Astronuc.

I now understand that it is more complex than I had previously thought and that it is obviously not within the scope of my unit that I'm doing, but I'm still interested in knowing more about it. I don't mean for you guys to spend your time telling me obviously :smile:, but I'm wondering if you know of any good resources that discuss this in a little more detail.

Thanks again

Here's a link to Slater's Rules. The rules are a short synthesis of very careful quantum mechanical calculations of the screening of nuclear charge by other electrons.

http://www.unb.ca/fredericton/science/chem/2201/Slater's_rule.html

The number [itex]\sigma[/itex] on that page refers to the difference between the total nuclear charge and the screened nuclear charge.

[tex]Z_{eff} = Z - \sigma [/tex]

Great! thanks for that.
Really appreciate your help guys.

1. What is Moseley's Law?

Moseley's Law, also known as the Moseley's Law of X-ray spectra, is a mathematical relationship between the atomic number (Z) and the frequency of the characteristic X-rays emitted by an element. It was discovered by English physicist Henry Moseley in 1913 and helped to establish the concept of atomic number and the modern periodic table.

2. What is electron screening?

Electron screening is a phenomenon in which the Coulomb repulsion between protons in an atom's nucleus is partially cancelled out by the presence of electrons. This results in a decrease in the energy required to remove a proton from the nucleus, known as the screening effect. It was first proposed by Niels Bohr in 1913 and helps to explain the stability of atoms with multiple protons.

3. How does Moseley's Law relate to electron screening?

Moseley's Law takes into account the effects of electron screening when determining the frequency of characteristic X-rays emitted by an element. This is because the screening effect results in a lower effective nuclear charge, which affects the energies of the atomic orbitals and therefore the X-ray frequencies. Moseley's Law also provides a way to measure the screening effect and thus gain insight into the electron configurations of different elements.

4. What is the practical application of Moseley's Law and electron screening?

Moseley's Law and electron screening have several practical applications in the fields of physics and chemistry. For example, they are used in X-ray fluorescence spectroscopy, which is a technique for identifying and quantifying the elements present in a sample. They are also important in the study of atomic structure and the development of new materials, as well as in nuclear physics and astrophysics.

5. Are there any limitations to Moseley's Law and electron screening?

While Moseley's Law and electron screening provide valuable insights into the properties of atoms and their nuclei, they do have some limitations. For instance, Moseley's Law is most accurate for elements with low atomic numbers and can break down for heavier elements. Additionally, electron screening is a simplified model that does not take into account the complex interactions between electrons in an atom. As with any scientific theory, further research and advancements may refine our understanding of these concepts.