1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MOSFET Drain Voltage Question

1. Mar 26, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    6e15725989.jpg

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

We have been given this quesiton along with some parameters.
    It asks for find drain votltage, my question is why isn't the drain voltage just equal to 1.8? I mean the resistor should be getting the entire 1.8V so?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2017 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

It would be 1.8 V if the FET were cut off (completely non-conducting). Do you have reason to believe that this is the case?

4. Mar 26, 2017 #3
    no. Ah, I keep considering the branches of the terminals of the MOSFET independant due to the gap in the circuit diagram of it. So basically because of the gate terminal I can't just assume its 1.8V

5. Mar 26, 2017 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Schematic diagram symbols often offer a stylized hint as to the underlying construction of the components they represent, but really they can't do more than jog your memory about how they actually function.

You hinted at being given some parameters. You'll have to use them to work out what operating mode the FET is in and then find its DC operating point.

6. Mar 27, 2017 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're contradicting yourself here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted