Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1. Dec 11, 2006 #1
    I am having an issue with choosing an appropriate MOSFET (N-chan) for my purposes. I intend to use 5V logic to turn on/off a circuit which has roughly 4A flowing through the drain-source when on. However, I am having trouble figuring out how to find the properly-rated MOSFET to do this.

The book I am ordering this part from (Jameco) gives some specifications, such as the package, BVds, Min. On-St. DS current and so forth, but I am unable to discern what these mean. The package part makes sense if you have the figures in the book, but I am not sure what BVds means or what "Min. On-St. DS Current" means. I assume it means "minimum on-state drain-source current", which tells me half of what I want to know, but how can I be sure that it will supply this current when Vgs = 5V? For reference, I was looking at this particular part:

Yea or nay on being what I want?
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Did you try the "View Technical Documents - Data Sheet (current)" link on that web page? That should tell you everything you need to know.
  4. Dec 11, 2006 #3
    Hm I suppose you're right with the various plots of Vgs vs. current at various Vds values. Hopefully it all works out!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?