Choosing the Right MOSFET for Your Circuit: A Guide for Beginners

• Thread starter vsage
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mosfet
In summary, the speaker is having trouble choosing the appropriate MOSFET for their project, which involves using 5V logic to control a circuit with 4A of current. They are confused about the specifications provided by the supplier, specifically the package, BVds, and Min. On-St. DS current. They believe that the "Min. On-St. DS Current" stands for "minimum on-state drain-source current" but are unsure if the chosen MOSFET will actually supply this current at 5V. The speaker is considering a specific MOSFET from Jameco and is seeking confirmation that it is suitable for their needs. They are advised to consult the technical documents for more information.
vsage
I am having an issue with choosing an appropriate MOSFET (N-chan) for my purposes. I intend to use 5V logic to turn on/off a circuit which has roughly 4A flowing through the drain-source when on. However, I am having trouble figuring out how to find the properly-rated MOSFET to do this.

The book I am ordering this part from (Jameco) gives some specifications, such as the package, BVds, Min. On-St. DS current and so forth, but I am unable to discern what these mean. The package part makes sense if you have the figures in the book, but I am not sure what BVds means or what "Min. On-St. DS Current" means. I assume it means "minimum on-state drain-source current", which tells me half of what I want to know, but how can I be sure that it will supply this current when Vgs = 5V? For reference, I was looking at this particular part:

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/st...&catalogId=10001&productId=210577&pa=210577PS

Yea or nay on being what I want?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Did you try the "View Technical Documents - Data Sheet (current)" link on that web page? That should tell you everything you need to know.

AlephZero said:
Did you try the "View Technical Documents - Data Sheet (current)" link on that web page? That should tell you everything you need to know.

Hm I suppose you're right with the various plots of Vgs vs. current at various Vds values. Hopefully it all works out!

1. What is a MOSFET and how does it work?

A MOSFET (Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor Field-Effect Transistor) is a type of electronic component that acts as a switch or amplifier in a circuit. It works by controlling the flow of current between its source and drain terminals using a voltage applied at its gate terminal.

2. Why is it important to choose the right MOSFET for a circuit?

Choosing the right MOSFET is crucial because it affects the performance and reliability of the circuit. A mismatched or incorrect MOSFET can lead to overheating, unstable operation, and even failure of the circuit.

3. What factors should be considered when selecting a MOSFET?

Some important factors to consider when selecting a MOSFET include the required voltage and current ratings, switching speed, and on-resistance. It is also important to consider the type of application, temperature range, and any special features or protections needed for the circuit.

4. Can I use any MOSFET for my circuit?

No, not all MOSFETs are suitable for every circuit. It is important to carefully read the datasheet and select a MOSFET that meets the specific requirements of your circuit. Using an unsuitable MOSFET can result in poor performance or damage to the circuit.

5. How can I determine the right MOSFET for my circuit?

The best way to determine the right MOSFET for your circuit is to consult the datasheet and carefully consider the specifications and features of different MOSFETs. You can also seek advice from experienced engineers or use online tools and calculators to help with the selection process.