What Are the Major Ratings and Acronyms for MOSFETs?

• Thread starter edsys89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mosfet
In summary: Where abouts are you in your electronics education? Have you learned about MOSFETs in much detail yet?In summary, a MOSFET is a field-effect transistor that consists of a gate terminal, a source and a drain terminal. Voltage applied to the gate terminal creates an electric field, which changes the current flow between the source and the drain terminals.
edsys89

Homework Statement

List the major device ratings for a MOSFET.

The Attempt at a Solution

Simple question yeah? Data sheets list about 20 ratings for each device, and they don't explain the acronyms. VBRDSS = Vegemite BReaD Salad Sandwich?

Can someone help me trim them down to the major ratings and give us a clue with the acronyms? Thanks heaps in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where abouts are you in your electronics education? Have you learned about MOSFETs in much detail yet?

What I meant to say is that, without this background, knowing what the acronym means may not get you any further ahead. Additionally, what is the intended application? Different specs have different impacts depending on the application, as was mentioned in the first thread you posted. As an illustration, assume that the spec sheet for 'edsys89' states that you're 6' tall, and have brown hair. Which is more relevant when you're on the gameshow "Hole in the Wall"? How about when you're on the "Bachelorette" with someone who has a stated preference for blond-haired guys?

If you look through the datasheet for the part of interest (assuming you have a part in mind), most of the acronyms are usually expanded. For instance, a Google search for VBRDSS brings up the International Rectifier (IRF.com) site, along with some parts. By looking in the first datasheet, (IRF7425PBF) VBRDSS is the Voltage BReakdown Drain to Source--the maximum voltage between drain and source before the MOSFET breaks down (probably catastrophically).

If your homework is asking you to list a bunch of specs for a MOSFET, I'd say that you'd have to figure out what the stats actually mean.

MATLABdude said:
Where abouts are you in your electronics education? Have you learned about MOSFETs in much detail yet?

I'm doing a diploma in renewable energy from a technical college. I'm learning how the magic boxes with terminal screws on them regulate battery charging, convert 12/24V DC to 240 AC, convert 3 phase from a wind turbine to DC etc. I'm to learn briefly how the circuits work but not to the point of soldering boards or understanding quantum semiconductor theory.

What have I learned about MOSFETs?

MOSFET is an acronym for Metal-Oxide Semiconductor Field-Effect Transistor. It consists of a gate terminal, a source and a drain terminal.
Voltage applied to the gate terminal creates an electric field changing the current flow between the source and the drain terminals.

So its like a transistor, except you need very little current to control it yeah?

1. What is a MOSFET and why is it important?

A MOSFET (Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor Field-Effect Transistor) is a type of transistor used in electronic devices to control the flow of electrical current. It is important because it allows for efficient switching and amplification of signals, making it a key component in many electronic circuits.

2. What are MOSFET ratings and why do they cause headaches?

MOSFET ratings refer to the various parameters that specify the limits and capabilities of a MOSFET, such as maximum voltage, current, and power ratings. They can cause headaches because selecting the right MOSFET with appropriate ratings for a specific application can be a complex and time-consuming process.

3. How do I choose the right MOSFET ratings for my project?

Choosing the right MOSFET ratings involves considering the requirements of your project, such as voltage, current, and power levels, as well as the operating conditions and environment. It is important to carefully analyze the datasheet of the MOSFET and consult with experts if needed.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when dealing with MOSFET ratings?

Some common mistakes to avoid when dealing with MOSFET ratings include not considering all the necessary parameters, relying solely on the maximum ratings without considering the operating conditions, and not properly understanding the datasheet and specifications.

5. Can MOSFET ratings change over time?

Yes, MOSFET ratings can change over time due to factors such as aging, temperature, and stress. It is important to consider the expected lifetime and reliability of the MOSFET when selecting ratings for a long-term project or application.