Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mosque killing: the reporter's experience, international reactions

1. Nov 22, 2004 #1

plover

Homework Helper

Kevin Sites, the reporter present at the killing in the Fallujah mosque, has written an account of his experience that day as an 'Open Letter to Devil Dogs of the 3.1'.
    The Middle East scholar who goes by 'Abu Aardvark' comments on how the current absence of al-Jazeera in Iraq affects public opinion in the Arab world.
    Middle East scholar Juan Cole provides a précis of the wave of international protests sparked by the Fallujah campaign (along with some of the Iraqi responses to the Abu Hanifa raid).
    (There were also significant protests in Pakistan and Greece, and an official condemnation from the Egyptian Council on Foreign Affairs.)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2004 #2
    *Deep Artificial Radio Announcer Voice* Once again Team America has pissed off the Entire World!

4. Nov 28, 2004 #3

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Regarding the Mosque Shooting

This is a letter from the reporter to the marine corp, from his personal blog:

Full text at www.kevinsites.net

5. Nov 28, 2004 #4

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

By the way, it really bothers me that the LA Times published this letter and completely edited out this entire part:

I understand that the entire letter would not have fit in the space provided, but given that the writer clearly wanted to make a very even-handed assessment of the situation, the only reason I can think of for the editor to only include those parts of the letter damning to the marine is pure agenda and bias against the US military. I understand that the Times does not support the war and neither does it support president Bush, but they need not selectively publish what are initially very fair reports in an effort to tarnish every action taken by our troops. That is not responsible journalism, even on an op-ed page.

6. Nov 28, 2004 #5

plover

Homework Helper

loseyourname:

I'm slightly puzzled as to why you re-posted the link Kevin Sites' blog (not bothered, just puzzled).
    If Sites himself did not do the edit, then that is indeed annoying. (Perhaps they included the paragraph starting with "When NBC aired..." that I included above, and thought that sufficed?)

The issue of the Marine having been shot the day before, while certainly a mitigiating factor for the Marine himself, does make me wonder though. If the injury was serious enough, either physically or psychologically, to have been a mitigating factor, why was this guy back on duty so soon?

The explanations that come to mind depend either on low personnel levels forcing the Corps to put people back on duty, or on the kind of breakdown of the line between useful stoicism and macho crapola that can prevail in military culture, but I haven't heard evidence that supports any specific interpretation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?