B Mosquito radar

• Thread starter fanieh
  • Start date
I have difficulty finding the mosquitoes in my room so my electric swapper can't hit them.. is there any device that can find their exact location maybe some kind of mini radar.. what sensitivity before such radar can locate mosquitoes? Mosquitoes disturb my sleep at night.

davenn

Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have difficulty finding the mosquitoes in my room so my electric swapper can't hit them.. is there any device that can find their exact location maybe some kind of mini radar.. what sensitivity before such radar can locate mosquitoes? Mosquitoes disturb my sleep at night.
they disturb lot's of peoples sleep
that's why there are both battery operated and plug into mains outlet operated units to repel them

Dave

they disturb lot's of peoples sleep
that's why there are both battery operated and plug into mains outlet operated units to repel them

Dave
What device battery operated and can repel them?

davenn

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Radar doesn't have the angular resolution to precisely locate them even if it did have the sensitivity. At the size scale in question it would have to be optical. At the speed they move and change direction it would have to be fast. Sounds like a job for high resolution short range flash LIDAR. No, too exotic. Some sort of acoustic triangulation probably? Yeah, that's the ticket. Cheap, simple equipment and a little computational horsepower. Listen for the buzz with multiple microphones and correlate to determine 3D location. (You'd have to know a lot about the acoustics of the room, too). Then when you have it located cue the sharks in the wall aquarium to fire their lasers at the target. Perfect!!!

Senty gun using a camera for target tracking would be cool.

Many videos of DIY set-ups on youtube. Maybe you could adapt one of those designs to target mosquitos with a laser or something. Probably need a lot of careful fine tuning to prevent it from targeting you though.

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
So the solution to mosquitos being annoying is to flash a bunch of lights in the bedroom? Holy disco, Batman!

Infrared so it doesn't disturb your sleep (unless a mosquito lands on your cheek and the lasers cauterize a mole you didn't know you had)

davenn

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Infrared so it doesn't disturb your sleep (unless a mosquito lands on your cheek and the lasers cauterize a mole you didn't know you had)
or give you a severe tan :rolleyes:

A.T.

Science Advisor
So the solution to mosquitos being annoying is to flash a bunch of lights in the bedroom? Holy disco, Batman!
Nano drones dogfighting the mosquitos!

jbriggs444

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Nano drones dogfighting the mosquitos!
Use gravity... Find them based on their gravitational wave signature and destroy them with focused gravitational waves.

NascentOxygen

Mentor
Mosquitoes disturb my sleep at night.
A ceiling fan above your bed will disrupt the mosquito's flight and the rushing turbulent air around you will block out its whine.

Khashishi

Science Advisor
A mosquito net over your bed will work. Mosquito laser target tracking is overengineering.

DaveC426913

Gold Member
A mosquito net over your bed will work. Mosquito laser target tracking is overengineering.
Does half the job. Won't block out the sound.

Few things match the bang-for-your-buck of a barely audible mosquito buzz preventing you from getting a wink of sleep.

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member
The OP clearly wants to go on the offense here, so using repellents won't satisfy those primitive urges. If it's bugging you that badly, use a bowl of fresh cows blood to lure them out of hiding and zap away!

256bits

Gold Member
Mosquitoes are pretty smart by the way.
The young innocent ones are easy to slap at and get a hit.
Older crusty ones, with experience under their belt, can sense when you move your hand to get at them and will abort the attack, only to come back later.

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member
Mosquitoes are pretty smart by the way.
The young innocent ones are easy to slap at and get a hit.
Older crusty ones, with experience under their belt, can sense when you move your hand to get at them and will abort the attack, only to come back later.
I would say gender also determines agility in this case. Female mosquitoes probably get murdered by human hands more frequently. Males have more flagella that give them much more finely-tuned hearing. Females require nutrition from blood in order to reproduce (they do the biting). Even if the male is hounding her while she is trying to bite you, better hearing is an advantage that enables him to respond more quickly to motion and noise. The ones that escape sooner are probably male. The ones throwing up a ruckus and don't seem interested in biting are probably male though. They throw in an additional begging-for-sex whine into their buzzing.