1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mossbauer Effect in Iron-57

1. Mar 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the Doppler velocity needed to compensate for the recoil energy.

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]V=\frac{E_{0}}{m c}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found the recoil energy to be [itex]1.95\times10^{-3}[/itex] eV.
    And for Iron-57, [itex]E_{\gamma}[/itex] is 14.4KeV. Which is approximatly equal to [itex]E_{0}[/itex].
    So just plugging these values into the above equation, I get 81.27m/s which seems a bit high, as many articles site around 10mm/s!

Perhaps units I am using should be in something else? Or maybe I am using the completely wrong equation?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2012 #2
    From the wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mössbauer_effect

4. Mar 7, 2012 #3

Ohhh..... and of course I'm calculating it for a "Free" atom, not one bound in a solid! So the higher velocity makes sense!

Thank you so much for the help!

5. May 10, 2012 #4
    Hi,
    You answer for recoil velocity seems to be correct (i get 81.47 m/s). The 10 mm/s velocity is not the recoil velocity. It is the speed of transducer, i.e. the vibrating velocity of the Mössbauer source to acquire a complete Mössbauer spectrum..1 mm/s is equal to 48.075 neV ([itex]E_{D}=\frac{E_{\gamma} v}{c}[\itex], take v=1 mm/s and you will get 48.075 neV).
    Cheers, Rajini

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook